New ski boat - questions to ask the owner? what are your thoughts on the boat?

bid1103

Cadet
Re: New ski boat - questions to ask the owner? what are your thoughts on the boat?

it seems like the person your using as an example had a problem with both their prop and boat in general

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: New ski boat - questions to ask the owner? what are your thoughts on the boat?

No direct drive or v-drive tournament ski boats or wakeboard boats do 50 MPH. All are locked in at about 46 MPH max regardless of horsepower. Look it up ;)

Well, the Malibu response I was driving last week goes 55 - no need to look anything up

bid1103

Cadet

no i belive you on the 60 it does seem very un likely for a mastercraft to be able to do that it is most likely that was the barefoot mastercraft or they had done something to it

bid1103

Cadet

malibu responses are beautiful boats ive got a freind with the txi

QC

Supreme Mariner

Malibu Response

Fastest tournament boat I have ever "read". Just now. I'll give you fifty . . . :)

oldjeep

Admiral

Malibu Response

Fastest tournament boat I have ever "read". Just now. I'll give you fifty . . . :)

Hmm, if only there were something other than the prop that comes with a boat when you buy it ;)

And for fun - check out the 500HP corvette version (not what my FIL has) that one tops out at 60 with the stock prop on it.

bid1103

Cadet

holy crap i saw one of those at a gas station i wanted to take a picture but didnt want to look like an idiot haha it was very nice and it depends because you might consider the acceleration or time to plane between the moomba boomerang and the response txi now i do relize that the malibu response has a new hull and a new engine but they power to weight ratio between the moomba boomerang and the txi is unbelivable i think the response might be a better towing boat but the moomba boomerang would be faster to plane and was faster than the malibu response of the moomba boomerangs times being 1995 untill 2000

QC

Supreme Mariner

You guys know that 400 hp in a 20' I/O would be a 70+ MPH boat right?

I have seen them push horsepower up and up and wondered why? They all topped out at 46. Malibu must be sacrificing some wake for that.

bid1103

Cadet

your sacraficing so much with an i/o than a consecutive v drive or direct drive boat only thing your gaining is top speed

oldjeep

Admiral

I have seen them push horsepower up and up and wondered why? They all topped out at 46. Malibu must be sacrificing some wake for that.

Mainly to say they have the higher HP I'm guessing ;) For tournament use I think they do keep them propped around 48, but this one was a program boat from a club and I'm guessing that they propped it up for barefooting so that the RPM's were not out of control at speed.

I'd definitely rather have the 400HP in an I/O, you don't dare top out a ski boat unless the water is very calm and there is no chance of someone putting a wake right in front of you.

QC

Supreme Mariner

And ride, and fuel, and low speed handling and backing and power choices, and oh yeah speed.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Depends on the boat. Chances are you'll just have a nightmare boat... Before we got our Sea Ray back ('87 21' Midcabin Seaville) it had, for awhile, a close-to 500hp 383 pushing it around. All it did was ventilate the props and/or blow out their hubs. Top speed I think he got out of her was 58 using a 26" solid hub cleaver--- just before he blew out the coupler hub. And the engine broke a cylinder wall twice along the way (the second time was the last time). And the little Alpha One took it all in stride :)

The only way our little Sea Ray will beat 58 is on the trailer... ;)

And I agree on the ski boats, the more power you put behind them, the more they push the bow into the water. To get them going fast, there's something being compromised...?

bid1103

Cadet

HAHAHAHA handling not at all only advantage youve got handling wise in a mercruiser engine is reverse. second of all wake the size of your wake is going to be so much worse and the quality of the wake is going to be so much worse it is going to be hard and rigid rather than soft. the kind of wake you want behind a ski boat. the reason it is better on fuel is because wakeboard boats are genarlly extreamly heavy to make the large wakes they do. they also dont come in relitivly small ammounts of horsepower being the mer cruiser 135 3 litre which is a complete peice of crap anyone who belives that a mercruiser engines are better for wakeboarding and water skiing hasnt skiied behind a boat

QC

Supreme Mariner

I like my wakes hard and rigid . . . There are other things we do with boats. Good fun. Gotta go.

oldjeep

Admiral

Honestly I switch back and forth between the Response and my 195, the main difference to me is how much nicer it is to get out of the water behind the Response (due to the lack of power in my boat). Wake wise, my 140HP I/O puts out an acceptable wake at 32-34 MPH at 15 off. Anything closer to the boat and it is not as nice.

bid1103

Cadet

i was only arguing toward the use of mer cruiser engines on fake wakeboard boats not towards cruising and other things