New resto project, new to boating, need manuals and control advice

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice
Hello! This is a great site and I am looking forward to gaining more knowledge and contributing to an exciting community.

Here is the boat:
1968 (I think) Penn Yan Explorer (I think) 20.5'
Mercruiser 160 stern drive with inline 6 GM block.
Serial No. 2221729 so it is a pretty early model from what I have gathered

Ok. Where to start.

I bought this boat in the blind for a pretty good deal and for a specific task. It has practically no interior other than wood and fiberglass frame. Most wires on the engine or connected as I got it running the other day after some tlc. I have and will have a million questions, but I am new to this so I am trying to condense. My apologies. The wires on the control/guage side have been detached and it looks like somebody wired it before and did a poor job to begin with. So I have a main black pin style harness with the starting and ignition wires (all i know for sure so far), and another exposed harness, which could be aftermarket?

So the engine runs. I flushed it out and it seemed to work, but I still need a thermostat test and I question the neoprene impeller. Hydraulics work to my surprise, and the trim button.

Here is where i am now:

I have the single knob old style mercontrol throttle/shift lever. It is not hooked up yet and there is a couple wires coming out, in addition to the two cables. Can I assume the cables are for throttle and shifting? And what are the wires?

I also am trying to figure out how to put this all together so I can water test it, and then worry about fabricating an interior for my needs, which will hopefully be fishing and exploring, with some leisure.

Not sure what else to say, but I did come across an aewsome manual on boatinfo.no but it vanished and I cannot find another one physical or digital.

That is the scoop. I really will appreciate any help, as this boat really deserves to swim again! Not to mention it is in Alaska now! Wooo.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: New resto project, new to boating, need manuals and control advice

Welcome aboard! The two wires coming out of the control are for the neutral switch - to ensure it does not start in gear.

You need to go to the top of the page where the "adults only" section is... (It's not what you think).... you will find a lot of good basic info there including links to online manuals.

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice

I have not yet found a good link that works. The only one that did died somewhere between last night and this morning. :(:blue:

Also, so the neutral switch, Any idea where that connects?

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You can D/L and Crtl-S a manual HERE.

As for the neutral safety switch, it connects in the 'start' circuit. On the back of the key switch you should have 3 wires. One is power in, another is ON, and the third is START, and this is the wire that switch should be connected into. The idea being that if the control lever is anywhere but neutral, the start circuit is open and the engine cannot be cranked...

Chris......

Last edited:

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice

You can D/L and Crtl-S a manual HERE.

As for the neutral safety switch, it connects in the 'start' circuit. On the back of the key switch you should have 3 wires. One is power in, another is ON, and the third is START, and this is the wire that switch should be connected into. The idea being that if the control lever is anywhere but neutral, the start circuit is open and the engine cannot be cranked...

Chris......

Ok, so the other wire is ground then? Another odd thing the previous owner or owners did ( looks like at some point it was going to be restored) was to have the normal red mercruiser-keyed trim/start switch, but then added a start switch separate with 4 leads. I am really confused about that. Hopefully the manual will explain more but so far I have not seen that controller start style anywhere else.

Also, one cable moves when the black button on the throttle lever is pressed. When it is not there is some movement, but no cables moving? Could it be broken or is that the switch?

Last edited:

achris

Ok, so the other wire is ground then? Another odd thing the previous owner or owners did ( looks like at some point it was going to be restored) was to have the normal red mercruiser-keyed trim/start switch, but then added a start switch separate with 4 leads. I am really confused about that. Hopefully the manual will explain more but so far I have not seen that controller start style anywhere else.

NO! :eek: The switch is in series with the start circuit.... The wire that goes from the START postion on the key goes to one of the wires, the other wire goes to the starter solenoid...

Chris....

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice

NO! :eek: The switch is in series with the start circuit.... The wire that goes from the START postion on the key goes to one of the wires, the other wire goes to the starter solenoid...

Chris....

Ahhhh! Whew! Could have fried something. Thanks. That makes sense and I think might explain some more of my wiring dilemma... still, so many just ODD things. Like the fact that there are two rectangles for in the "new" guage panel for the throttle control, when only one is needed. I will try to post some pictures soon for people. This boat really frustrates me... but in a good way, like girls. Ha! :rolleyes:

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice

Does anybody know how to tell the cables apart? I assume one is shift and one is throttle???

achris

I can do it by just looking at the end. The throttle cable has more exposed than the shift cable (in neutral). If you are unsure, just move the control box into forward and then to full throttle. The cable that moved first is shift, the cable that move last (surprise, surprise) is throttle....

Chris......

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice

I was expecting that. Unfortunately only one moves. My old man has an outboard, and the throttle is independent. as in, you can throttle up without it in gear. Is that what the button is supposed to do on the side of the mercontrol remote?

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice

And does anyone know where to find quality economy seats that might maybe ship to alaska. I may go with custom built, and have a friend of a friend make some cush for them.

achris

I was expecting that. Unfortunately only one moves. My old man has an outboard, and the throttle is independent. as in, you can throttle up without it in gear. Is that what the button is supposed to do on the side of the mercontrol remote?

If it has the original MerControl, then there is a lever at the 'back' which should be the 'throttle only' lever... If the main lever doesn't select a gear, there's a problem with it...

And does anyone know where to find quality economy seats that might maybe ship to alaska. I may go with custom built, and have a friend of a friend make some cush(ions)? for them.

You need to ask this question in the resto forum... I believe iboats sells seats and will ship.... Just remember, trying to use 'quality' and 'economy' in the same sentence usually ends in tears...

Chris........

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice

How do I put this into the restoration forum?

achris

How do I put this into the restoration forum?

You can't.....

But as this started out as a Mercruiser problem, may I suggest you start a new thread in the resto forum...

Last edited: