new reconditioned engine

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well Just came home from the mechanics, he has installed a new Reconditoned Chev 262 86-95 4.3lt V6 Mercruiser style long motor,in my boat. I was supposed to pick it up today. Everyting is good, engine starts straight away, all guages work except Oil Guage showing "0", rev the motor up and oil gauge goes up a little. I left the boat at the workshop so they can find out whats wrong.

Could it be oil sensor or something worse?

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: new reconditioned engine

Well Just came home from the mechanics, he has installed a new Reconditoned Chev 262 86-95 4.3lt V6 Mercruiser style long motor,in my boat. I was supposed to pick it up today. Everyting is good, engine starts straight away, all guages work except Oil Guage showing "0", rev the motor up and oil gauge goes up a little. I left the boat at the workshop so they can find out whats wrong.

I do hope it's the sensor.:eek: Good luck with it.:)

havasuboatman

Ensign

First of all, is the motor rebuilt, (came from the machine shop) or reconditioned, (a used motor)?
A rebuilt motor that has no oil pressure except when rev'd up (and then low oil pressure) is a big red flag. It indicates improper assembly of the motor. A left out galley plug, too much clearance between bearings and journals, bad oil pump
By running it and reving it up you have done serious damage to the bearing surfaces, cam, lifters and journals.You will have scored the pistons and run the valve train "dry". In just a few minutes you will have put a LOT of hours worth of wear on that motor. .
You need to stay on top of the shop you took it to. Verify, for certian, whether the oil reading was due to a faulty gauge, sender, or wiring. Or whether it was actually due to no oil pressure.
Even if that means you drop by daily "to see how it's going". If the problem turns out that new motor really had no oil pressure. I would strongly advise you to refuse to accept it.

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry havasuboatman,
we have different terms here in australia, yea its from a machine shop. The mechanics are the ones that have started it, reved it etc, I have not taken pocession of my boat yet and wont unitl all is working ok. Its the weekend now, so I have to wait until Monday...going to be a Loooong weekend

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Did you get any warranty for the purchase of your motor. its probably a good thing you noticed it before you did any serious damage.
I would go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything else is o.k.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I don't rebuild motors for customers, but i've done quite a few for myself over the years. The very first thing I do on SBCs is remove the sender and hook up an actual oil pressure gauge and spin the oil pump with a drill. With just a drill I should get 2 or 3 psi. Then I install the distro and run it with the gauge still in.
If it looks good then, and only then, that's when i'll put the sender back in, hook up the wireing, and see if the gauge on the helm reads close to what I got with my gauge.

That's the only way to be certain.

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea 12 month warranty with the motor

havasuboatman

Ensign

I don't rebuild motors for customers, but i've done quite a few for myself over the years. The very first thing I do on SBCs is remove the sender and hook up an actual oil pressure gauge and spin the oil pump with a drill. With just a drill I should get 2 or 3 psi. Then I install the distro and run it with the gauge still in.
If it looks good then, and only then, that's when i'll put the sender back in, hook up the wireing, and see if the gauge on the helm reads close to what I got with my gauge.

That's the only way to be certain.

Exactly. When you fire it, your eyes are glued to the OP gauge. Good oil pressure is critical for break in.

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I paid for the motor and got it delivered to the mechanics shop, so yea the motor is paid for

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

I paid for the motor and got it delivered to the mechanics shop, so yea the motor is paid for

Check your warranty and read the fine print, but I would say what evers wrong will be covered as the motor has just been fitted. Im also sure your mechanic would speak directly to the people who supplied you the motor.

Nothing worse than being a friday night and having to wait till monday to get an answer. But be patient and dont rush to get your boat back get the mechanic to check the motor before you tow it away.

Out of curiosity who did you buy the motor off.

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They are a big work shop so I am guessing they would have pre-lubed the oil pump. I hope they know what they are doing! fingers crossed

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

With the kind of $ your spending now it is critical to ? everything from this point on and have it verified.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

all guages work except Oil Guage showing "0", rev the motor up and oil gauge goes up a little. I left the boat at the workshop so they can find out whats wrong.

What kind of mechanic would rev up an engine without oil pressure? Cam break in is crucial in a fresh engine. Oil pressure should have been confirmed before that engine was started. I think its time to find a new mechanic. In many of your posts the key words keep coming up hope,fingers crossed, etc. If that engine has 0 oil pressure and was ran and revved the damage is done. Could be a bad pump or the oil pick-up tube is to close to the bottom of the pan or if your lucky a bad sensor. Seriously find a new mechanic...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Mark,

This is the same place that claimed you had blown head gasket that
"caused" an overheat?

Did they replace your previous engine or did you have to pay out of your own pocket?

In any case, have them connect a direct reading mechanical oil pressure gage to the engine when they run it.

You may not have a problem at all other than a minor electrical gage problem.....

(They should already have done this.....)

The very first thing I do on SBCs is remove the sender and hook up an actual oil pressure gauge and spin the oil pump with a drill. With just a drill I should get 2 or 3 psi.

I did the same with my rebuilt Ford 292 Y-block. Using a crank-type speed wrench and a direct reading mechanical gage I can get 50PSI turning it by hand!!!

Cheers,

Rick

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a new mechanic, I have had to pay for all !! new Motor and install $5,500.00,

The mechanic told me they had oil pressure at the start and then they switched the motor off and went to start it again and the starter motor failed, so new starter motor installed and then the motor started then had problems, NO TACHO, NO OIL PRESSURE. Fixed Tacho and now just oil presssure problems.

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check your warranty and read the fine print,
Out of curiosity who did you buy the motor off.

I purchased the motor of Suburban Imports as they were the ones I purchased the last motor off and knew that the change over would be easy.

There is no fine print in their warranty paper work, It states in big black bold writing,
"must be installed by qualified mechanic" TICK
"warranty included parts and labour" dosent specify what type of labour , so Im guessing if the motor has to be pulled again the the Motor shop will have to pay!! Hopefully it isnt that badl

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Any news on your boat yet, has everything been sorted out?