New Prop, Need Help - Pics Included

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK - here's the deal. Have a 2008 Sun Tracker 21' Party Barge that I've been battling a cavitation problem with. It had a plain old, run of the mill 3 blade prop, so I ordered a 4 blade for my 50 hp Mercury, non-big foot. The four blade is a two piece prop - I ordered both the prop and the hub kit through this website. Anyway, I got it, and upon installation noticed that it does not "sit" the same as the old one did, and there is a noticeable gap between the prop and the motor. And, with the whole thing sitting further out on the "shank", the lock nut would only go on about half way (pics of that included as well). With that said, I'm concerned that exhaust might leak through the gap and generate some cavitation.

Any thoughts? Are there different hub kits that I should be using so it fits more in place? I took the boat out with it as pictured, and it definitely made a difference, but still experienced some cavitation, but am wondering if the prop placement might have been part of the problem.

Please advise. The sooner the better. Dealing with this is driving me friggin nuts.

Thanks.
Dwight

Attachments

• 097.JPG
    097.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 100.JPG
    100.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 0

hwsiii

Commander
Re: New Prop, Need Help - Pics Included

You either have the hub kit in backwards, or you have the wrong hub kit. It should be pushed all the way in, not spaced away from the drive unit.
H

reeveshd

Cadet

I just put a new ss prop on the other day. I ran into the same problem. Every other prop I bought this summer the prop hub kit slipped right in with no problem. Then the SS I thougth it went all the way in, and I could not get it all the way on to the shaft. Check and make sure the rubber plastic peice is seated all the way into the hub of the prop and see if it is all the way in. For me, a few LIGHT taps with a small peice of wood and the rachet that I use to tighten the nut and it went right in

Reeves

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, it was pretty simple - three pieces. A larger brass piece with splines, a plastic insert for the hub and a brass washer with splines. I put it on per the directions - the plastic insert that goes inside of the prop slipped right in - not snug at all.

I'll call IBoats tomorrow and see what they have to say, but any additional input from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Dwight

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I figured it out. I took the prop off and removed a heavy brass washer that was included, and it fit perfect. Maybe that is only needed on certain applications? I'm thinking so, because it appears that it now fits picture perfectly, so I'm going to go with it unless someone tells me different.

Thanks.