New Project on The go. Let me know what you think!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: New Project on The go. Let me know what you think!

You can do all that without popping the cap off. transom will come out and new one go back in. Its easier with the cap off but be aware the hull will flex and if it "oil cans" :eek:

If you cut the bow open, again be wary of the hull sagging, theres some design'd rigidity in the bow area that should be compensated for.

One way to get the transom out is section it into 12" squares with a skillsaw, set the blade depth, then a wonder bar can be used to pry it out in peices.

chrislewis01

Cadet

Hey guys!

Just an update..

Finally after a couple weeks of being busy, I got back to work on the trailer today. Getting the bow-stop all designed, and fabricated. almost done building, Just a little more in the morning, then she`ll be primed and painted ready for mounting!

Put some pictures up on photo-bucket of tonights work.

Take care.

Chris.

chrislewis01

Cadet

Hey guys, just a little more paint to go on the bow stop and its ready to go, next I need to get the trailer its self into the shop and trim the tongue down, and get started on the rest of the stuff.. I think I finally figured out what I`m going to do about my bunks. It looks good on paper anyways, so We`ll see how it turns out on the trailer.

Curious about a couple things though.. I was thinking about building 2x6" bunks instead of 2x4`s.. just for more support, more surface area.. now I was told the longer the bunks the more of a pain it is to load and unload, would width pose the same issue?

also... Carpet.. is there any real benefit to the marine grade bunk carpet? or is it just a price difference? I have some left over indoor/outdoor carpet here that I might as well use up if its not gonna be any different.

Let me know what yah think.

more pics on photo-bucket of the bow stop progress.

Thanks a lot.

Chris.

tallcanadian

Captain

The wider the bunks, the more friction you will have. And it also depends on how you offload your boat, are you able to get your trailer in the water so you submerge the bunks anyway. Where I put mine into the water, it is shallow. I would have a hard time pushing my boat off 6'' bunks.

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also... Carpet.. is there any real benefit to the marine grade bunk carpet? or is it just a price difference? I have some left over indoor/outdoor carpet here that I might as well use up if its not gonna be any different.

The main difference will be that marine carpet, depending on how good it is measured in oz. such as 24oz. carpet which much thicker then standard indoor/outdoor, has a thicker rubber padding and will last a whole lot longer before it rots or wears thin. Also it will wrap around the bunk without leaving thin areas along the edges that can gouge the hull when loading a little off center...

I personally want a heavier, more dense carpet on the bunks to protect and cushion the hull.

chrislewis01

Cadet

Thanks for the tips guys! If I can somehow lower my trailer which I would like to do, submerging the bunks wont be an issue for me. pretty much every ramp around here is plenty deep.

And I priced some marine carpet, not too bad price wise, so Im thinking Ill just do it right the first time and go with that!

thanks again, appreciate it.

Chris.

chrislewis01

Cadet

Hey guys! Had another rain day at work. Got a little further on the trailer. Started on the prototype for my bunk mounts. I think its gonna work pretty good. Have a look, theres lots of pictures on photo bucket. They Just need paint now. hopefully get them painted and mounted tomorrow or Sunday.

Have a look if yah have some time, let me know what yah think. Any potential issues anyone can see or anything like that.

Thanks a lot.
Take er' easy.
Chris.