New owner, Oooold boat. OMC Questions.

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just picked up a 1971 Hydroswift (according to the papers) with a 260 OMC I/O, SternDrive 800 on the outside...

I'm ordering a Seloc Tune-up/Repair manual as we speak, but I don't think it was winterized properly and I need some info.

In the attached pics there are "plugs" (green arrows) on either side of the motor, about middle-way back. Are these what I pull? There are also rubber caps (red arrows) at 3 points on the manifolds.. I assume (dangerous I know) that these cap water jackets as well....?

I've had it cranking a little bit, weak connection somewhere as it cranks really slow with new battery. Will be going through connections/grounds today. Also discovered from cranking that the oil filter was loose and puking out oil. Thus the reason for checking the other stuff. Someone didn't do things right.

1 more, How do I change the oil?? The dipstick runs down under the pan to a block where the drain normally would be. Do I pump it out the dipstick tube?

Thanks
Brad

P.S. on edit...

Can someone tell me the correct oil filter? It had a Napa 1060 on it, but it didn't seems to fit correctly. Maybe just because it was loose, but if can confirm... Thanks

Attachments

• leftside.JPG
    leftside.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
  • rightside.JPG
    rightside.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • outdrive.jpg
    outdrive.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New owner, Oooold boat. OMC Questions.

I just picked up a 1971 Hydroswift (according to the papers) with a 260 OMC I/O, SternDrive 800 on the outside...

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...

Sorry to hear you bought such an Old OMC,... Luckily,.. It appears to be in reasonable shape...

Yes, your arrows point to the drains...

The Oil Filter is just the standard SBChevy filter...Any Parts House can hook you up...

chiefalen

Captain

Ok sir: i don't think the motor and the drive is original to that boat.

Now that i went out on the limb concerning the motor, i can be 100 percent positive that the drive is a mid 80 design, you are lucky.

Please look on the starboard side midway up the drive for a plate and the numbers and post them please.

Would you please look for the motor numbers as well and post those thank you.

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm starting to think maybe the boat was tagged as a 1971 because the trailer it's on is a 1971. I don't know. I'll get a pic of the boat with cover off if the snow stays away.

I can find no numbers on the drive. The circled area of the pic has a couple threaded holes that would be likely for mounting of the plate you mentioned, but it's not there.

Engine numbers
Model - 990262S
Serial - W630556

I ordered one of those smith oill changers as well. I have the water hose connection on top of the dip stick tube.

Attachments

• drive.JPG
    drive.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 0

chiefalen

Captain

Look on the transom starboard side the last 2 numbers??

Thats the year of the boat.

That would tell me a lot.

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't see any numbers anywhere.. Tell me what to take pictures of and I'll post them.

chiefalen

Captain

If there are no numbers and the boat itself burned into the starboard side then it could be a 71" But the drive i know from the pics is a 80's, but when in the 80's , is the big question, much better for you 83-85 or 86.

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't see any, but that doesn't mean they arent there..
Inside? Outside? Maybe up under the "hood"???

Here's a pic.

Hydroswift sticker is under the load railing.

Attachments

• small.JPG
    small.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 0

WizeOne

Commander

The 'better' news is that your outdrive is the last of the stringer drives. As Chief Allen says, it's probably an 81-early 86. It is the full mechanical shift 800. The best of the lot. A decent, and in someways, superior drive to the more complex black anchors. Yes, they are no longer made, and yes it is getting harder to find people who know how to work on them, and yes parts can tend to be a bit pricey but take care of it and it will serve you well.

To determine if someone added the later drive to an electric shift intermediate housing,(77 and earlier) lift the drive and see if there is a small retaining bracket and bolt, to hold the shift cable as it enters the intermediate housing. If there is not one then the boat is most likely a pre 1978 boat that someone added the later drive to. Also it does looks like your transom boot is an electric shift boot. They differ in shape from the later hydro-mechanical or full mechanical boots. As well, very early electric shift boots were full round but I do not know what year they went to the rounded squarish boot.

As for the hull #, check all around the back sides and back transom, on the hull, just below the rub rail. As an example, mine is on the right side of the transom, just below the rubrail and is GLF000270475. Mine is a '75 (electric shift) with the later hydro-mechanical drive added.

chiefalen

Captain

Oil filter:
Purolator- PER-40

AC- PF35

Oil- SAE 30w- 32 degrees and above

SAE 20w- 0-32 degrees

SAE10w- Below 0

All straight weight.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Also it does looks like your transom boot is an electric shift boot. They differ in shape from the later hydro-mechanical or full mechanical boots. As well, very early electric shift boots were full round but I do not know what year they went to the rounded squarish boot.

The last year I have seen the circle round boots is 1971 when they offered both the round and Rounded Squarish Boot which was then used thru 1977.

chiefalen

Captain

Count the screw holes in the boot. How many??

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

22 bolts on the boot.. Also on the other issue of the trim guage, someone took the key-hot off and used it for fuel guage. Working now.

chiefalen

Captain

Ok 22 holes latter model 83-85 could be a earlier by a year.

That means, it's good news for you cause the intermediate is newer and the pics show the last made drives, and it should be a fully mechanical shift.

All that i just posted just means your a very lucky guy, when you do go to buy
parts look up 85' stuff.

Place i look it up from is linked below, this page is for my drive go to the side bar and click on omc and then the year and then the drive. Helps to save the page when you do get it up on the screen.

Good luck ! Need any more help just post.

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...on=group&group=17&GroupList=17,18,19,20,21,22

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Chief.... Soon as this weather turn a tad I'll get some muffs on her and get her started.

chiefalen

Captain

You got a idea when the impeller was changed last??

Never run it unless it's all the way down.

Never run it without water going to the drive.

The 2 things never to forget.

How the ball gears and does the tilt work good?

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You got a idea when the impeller was changed last???
None.. Information I've gleened from the previous 2 owners says it was last run summer of 07. Oil looked to have been new and clean when I got it home, but changed anyway. I have cranked it over a couple of times to make sure it wasn't stuck, and checking the starters slow action, but there is no fuel supply at the moment so no danger of it starting.
Never run it unless it's all the way down.?
Never run it without water going to the drive.?
The 2 things never to forget.
Roger that...
How the ball gears and does the tilt work good?

Tilt works fine after I made a new thicker gasket for it. After reading here I may pull it again and pack with grease instead of the oil I have in it now.
No idea about the ball gears. Can I check without tearing the drive off?

superbenk

Commander

No idea about the ball gears. Can I check without tearing the drive off?

Yes you can. They should be easily visible with the stern drive all the way up. Here's a picture of good ball gears vs. bad ones:

IMG_2971.JPG