New owner Glastron/volvo 3.0 advice

Matt S

Seaman
I'm a car guy and we are going to pick up our first boat, brand new, this Saturday. A Glastron GT185 with the 3.0L volvo. I've been reading here for months and also all over the internet about boat motors and this one in particular. Found the GM Marine site and Volvo's website and browsed a few of the many owners manuals. But I don't know the exact model number of the motor aside from what's in the sales brochures. My wife always laughs at the over-research I do on stuff. I know a boat motor is not a car motor, but I feel a leg up in at least understanding it all operates the same...

Of course tons of my friends are chomping to take them skiing. And, yes I was too cheap to pony up for the 4.3L though I really am not looking forward to having a carb again after so many years of forgetting about them. If you complain about the towing, then get off my boat! And they're not liking the 20 hour breakin period. Tough, we can go for rides until it's ready to tow.

Anyway, I'm at the last hurdle, I've done all the research I can. So I'm curious as to the people's opinions about the first year of treatment you can give a new boat owner (but been around boats growing up) about taking care of their motor? What would you put in the owners manual or add to the lessons we're going to get from the dealer that you draw on from your own experience? Baby it extra during breakin, or It's not so bad? This boat will most likely see 60/40 fresh/salt water. What is the advice you'd give to your friend who's buying a boat?

Thanks a bunch, this place is awesome.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New owner Glastron/volvo 3.0 advice

I would say READ the owners manual an do what it says. And use some good common sense.
If it's EVER going to be in salt water, not only do you need to really keep up with the maintenance in the Owners manual, but get a fresh water cooling system installed on your boat before you ever put it in the water.

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New owner Glastron/volvo 3.0 advice

listen to don s . glastrons are nice boats i have an 89. i seen the new ones at our boat show
bob