New Outdrive Upper or Lower? Everything?

Rockyncali

Cadet
Thanks to the people here I was able to discover my mercruiser outdrive is finished. Again thanks for the help. Now that I saved a little money I was wondering if you could help again. The problem was I had the dreaded *no nuetral**liquid silver* thing going on. Now my question is should I replace the lower unit, the upper unit or both? And would I be better off having a shop rebuild it or just replace it with a rebuilt unit? I was thinking of replacing the lower unit and having new U joints thrown in the upper. Good idea or no? It's a 69 blue water with a 4 cyl. The boat fits what I use it for perfectly so I don't think I want to buy a new boat. Any ideas? Thanks again for your time and help.

Skipster1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Outdrive Upper or Lower? Everything?

Your Topic title is not specific enough.<br />People who have expertise with Mercruiser outdrives look for those questions that state "Mercruiser OD"<br />So you should simply re-post - yes, start a new posting - and use a title that spells out your specific problem.<br />Try something like this: " The dreaded "no neutral/liquid silver" problem with my Merc OD"<br />That will get you some very good responses from folks who know about those things.<br />So, just re-post the whole thing.... it don't cost ya nothin and it just might get you the expertise you need.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New Outdrive Upper or Lower? Everything?

If your lower is Shot,<br />The Upper Also saw the Same "*liquid silver*"......<br />I wouldn't even Think of running it Without a Rebuild.........<br />Getting your Lower rebuilt to go with it, is an option......<br />But,<br />It doesn't take very many Parts for the old 1,<br />To equal the price of a Brand New Outdrive from iboats......<br />$1500.00 Complete, No Core, is Cheap...............