New outboard, what happens to the old one???

I need to replace the 90hp 1994 Johnson on my boat. All the dealers are quoting prices for removal of the old motor and rigging of the new one. <br />What is the normal practice in the industry with regaurd to the old motor? Does the shop keep it? Do they give it back to me? Is there any trade value (power head is shot but trim/tilt, lower unit, prop ok)?<br />Any help or advise would be appreciated!<br />Thanks <br /><br />Baddawg

alcan

Commander
Re: New outboard, what happens to the old one???

Hi Snohomish<br />It's your motor running or not. The dealer is not going to give you anything for it, no matter how they write up the deal. Why don't you just remove the motor yourself. This way it doesn't end up cluttering up the deal on your new motor. Then you could part the thing out and haul the rest in to the recycle. Or I can remove your motor free of charge if you let me keep it. I may even offer to pay you for the privlage! I live in the area so this is doable.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Or, most cities have some kind of used outboard parts business who buy old motors. Look in the yellow pages to see if you can find one. There are many, many motors like yours, so parts should be in demand.

Alcan<br />thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it. I was going to look at removing it myself or having someone who wants it remove it, but I wasn't sure if it would be worth something in the deal with the new motor.<br />The motor has a broken crank, the head is banged up and one cylinder is a little low on compression. The tilt/trim and lower unit are fine. It needs a new power head and the cost of having it done is about 4000.00 give or take. I have been thinking of getting a new 4 stroke and this seemed like the right time.<br />I will be in contact in the next couple of weeks if I decide to take it off.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Baddawg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Well don't give it to the dealer.<br />The lower unit, ignition, cowling, t/t, prop, wiring harness, all have value to someone.

Do not give it to the dealer because they will sell it for a decent profit. Im not saying they are fat cat cheats, there is a lot of overhead to the business but many dealers have used parts people who make rounds and buy their so called "junk" engines for decent cash for resale.

playspot1

Cadet

Baddawg,<br /><br />I still say you should buy my 2003 90hp Merc, even though it's a 2 Stroke. Of course, that's because I need to sell it! Price is dropping. :) <br /><br />Mike

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the parts alone would bring at least $800 on ebay, check it out! lower unit - $300 to $500, T&T - $200 - $300, and so on! dont give it away ;)

alcan

Commander

Hey Catfish,Come over to my house, bring your wallet. I'll by the beer.