New outboard , opinions wanted...

Benny1963

Lieutenant
Re: New outboard , opinions wanted...

buddies got etec 200 his dad has yamaha 4 stroke 200
etec runs circles around it not much difference that we used in gas that day
considering we ran at close to wot more than his father.
will be buying a new motor this year it will be and etec
have rode in buddies boats with everything from mercs to honda
etec is the way i will go

BillP

Captain

The quote below is straight from my 2008 Suzuki 140 owners manuel word for word.

Gasoline/Ethanol Blends
Blends of unleaded gasoline and ethanol (grain alocohol), also known as gasohol, may be used in your outboard motor if the ethanol content is not greater than 10%.

They probably changed 2008 handbooks to keep customers from freaking. The guy I talked to who was freaking had a new Suzuki but it may have been a 2006 or 2007. There are still plenty of 2006 & 2007 Suzuki engines sitting on the local dealer's showroom floor.

bp

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Fuel use with new properly setup 2 strokes and 4 strokes is a wash.
when comparing performance reports check fuel use at various speeds not rpm.

BillP

Captain

It's funny how the tides change. Old time 2 strokers who early on bought 4 strokes are going back to 2 strokes. Etec is high on the list. I see at least one customer a week with high time 4 strokes doing it.

bp

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

?Four-stroke engines now outnumber two-strokes in three of four outboard-powered boat segments: coastal fishing, pontoon and runabout. The biggest increase is in coastal fishing, where four-stroke outboard penetration is at 50 percent of the market?up from 31 percent in 2003. Only the bass boat segment has more two-stroke than four-stroke outboards.?

Excerpt from J.D. Power and Associates Reports: February 2005
http://www.jdpower.co.jp/press/pdf2005/2005USMarineEngine_E.pdf

?The record reflects that the growth in the U.S. market is largely due to increased demand for four-stroke outboard engines over the period of investigation. There has been a shift in demand in favor of these engines because they are reliable, quiet and emissions-compliant.?

?The record contains substantial evidence, including numerous articles and testimony on the record of the positive consumer response to four-stroke outboard engines. Our purchaser data generally confirms that these engines are quiet, reliable and emissions-compliant. Some boaters prefer the speed and acceleration of two-stroke engines. However, boaters who favor durability, reliability and quietness of engine over fast acceleration typically prefer four-stroke engines. For example, pontoon boaters do not need acceleration, but they desire reliable and quiet engines. Salt-water boaters, who venture far from land, also prefer four-stroke engines because of their perceived greater reliability and fuel efficiency compared to two-stroke engines. ?

?Only a small portion of the market, most notably bass boaters, exhibit a clear preference for two stroke direct injection engines over four-stroke engines. Purchasers reported that these engines accelerate quickly, but reported that they were inferior to four-strokes in reliability, durability and sound reduction, more often than they reported them superior in these categories. The market share of bass boats has declined, contributing to lower demand for two-stroke direct injection engines relative to four-stroke engines.?

Excerpts from a U.S Trade Commission Investigation, February 2005
http://www.usitc.gov/trade_remedy/7...s/2004/outboard_engines/final/PDF/pub3752.pdf

?Evinrude market share is less than 15 percent as it battles Suzuki and Honda for a distant third-place in sales behind Mercury and Yamaha.?

Excerpt from a Boats.com article, April, 2007
http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/article/johnson-outboard-future

I cannot find anything to indicate the national market shift toward four-strokes has stopped or slowed since 2003 - 2004. Can you post any evidence that it has?

BillP

Captain

?Four-stroke engines now outnumber two-strokes in three of four outboard-powered boat segments: coastal fishing, pontoon and runabout. The biggest increase is in coastal fishing, where four-stroke outboard penetration is at 50 percent of the market?up from 31 percent in 2003. Only the bass boat segment has more two-stroke than four-stroke outboards.?

Excerpt from J.D. Power and Associates Reports: February 2005
http://www.jdpower.co.jp/press/pdf2005/2005USMarineEngine_E.pdf

?The record reflects that the growth in the U.S. market is largely due to increased demand for four-stroke outboard engines over the period of investigation. There has been a shift in demand in favor of these engines because they are reliable, quiet and emissions-compliant.?

?The record contains substantial evidence, including numerous articles and testimony on the record of the positive consumer response to four-stroke outboard engines. Our purchaser data generally confirms that these engines are quiet, reliable and emissions-compliant. Some boaters prefer the speed and acceleration of two-stroke engines. However, boaters who favor durability, reliability and quietness of engine over fast acceleration typically prefer four-stroke engines. For example, pontoon boaters do not need acceleration, but they desire reliable and quiet engines. Salt-water boaters, who venture far from land, also prefer four-stroke engines because of their perceived greater reliability and fuel efficiency compared to two-stroke engines. ?

?Only a small portion of the market, most notably bass boaters, exhibit a clear preference for two stroke direct injection engines over four-stroke engines. Purchasers reported that these engines accelerate quickly, but reported that they were inferior to four-strokes in reliability, durability and sound reduction, more often than they reported them superior in these categories. The market share of bass boats has declined, contributing to lower demand for two-stroke direct injection engines relative to four-stroke engines.?

Excerpts from a U.S Trade Commission Investigation, February 2005
http://www.usitc.gov/trade_remedy/7...s/2004/outboard_engines/final/PDF/pub3752.pdf

?Evinrude market share is less than 15 percent as it battles Suzuki and Honda for a distant third-place in sales behind Mercury and Yamaha.?

Excerpt from a Boats.com article, April, 2007
http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/article/johnson-outboard-future

I cannot find anything to indicate the national market shift toward four-strokes has stopped or slowed since 2003 - 2004. Can you post any evidence that it has?

2009 models are coming out. Do you realize how outdated 2005 is when talking OB technology and market share? Even 2007 is getting old...unless you are buying a "current" no model yr merc or yamaha.

Anyway, I didn't say or mean to imply there was a "national market shift" so relax. But since you are trying to prove something...The "national market shift" proves only one thing...sale numbers. It has nothing to do with best quality, best performance or best anything...but sales numbers. What I said is a good number of old time and very experienced boaters who cross paths with me went 4 stroke and are going back to 2 stroke...mostly etec...and I work in the trade...and we sell 2 & 4 strokes...and are competitors of etec. It's typical to see these customers put 500+ hrs a yr on their engines. They are light yrs ahead of the "national market" in actual motor ownership use and knowledge. If I used the "national market shift" for a quality reference I'd be thinking the Ford Focus is the top dog car too. It sells the most but certainly I don't consider those buyers as the last word in automobile expertise.

The comment about 2 stroke owners saying their motors were less reliable than 4 strokes can be misleading. What it doesn't say is they compared 5-10-15yr old carbed 2 strokes with later model 4 strokes. If you look at any boat forum it's always old 2 strokes compared to new 4 strokes so it's no surprise that the "national market shift" herd believes 4 strokes are so superior.

One last comment before I get off the soapbox. I've been boating with 2 strokes close to 50 yrs. I was one of the early 4 stroke buyers who bought based on the same hype today's buyers hear. That gives me 12 yrs of 4 stroke experience. How many people do you know who have 12 yrs of 4 stroke use? These are the people who are trading in 4 strokes for etecs. Newer 4 strokes are better than mine and have less maintenance but not that much better. My other (4) engines are 2 strokes (most used too) and my next new engine will be an etec...the decision isn't even a close call. I'll follow the leaders, not the herd thank you.

bp