New one on me!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Well, went to start the 50 to test the bigger carb and she was locked-up tight. She had been sitting for about a week but that is nothing new. I tried using a breaker bar on the top nut but the flywheel simply would not budge. I removed the carb and manifold and discovered white corrosion inside the crankcase casting. Then I removed the head----cylinders uniformly rusted. It only takes a light coating to lock up an engine.

So, I got in there with a scraper, and oiled the cylinders a good shot then broke it over a couple of times with the breaker bar. After it was loose I used the starter and worked pre-mix at about 12 to 1 through the engine, then I used a shot of straight oil.

Finally, I re-assembled the engine and started it. I let it run for about an hour to heat-up and shut it down.

I don't know where the water came from: There is no leak in either the head gasket or the exhaust cover gaskets. Last time I ran the engine, I was having trouble with the big carb and only ran it for about 5 minutes. Additionally, here was only one other boat on the river and he kept towing a boarder past the ramp, throwing big wakes. My friend was holding the boat for me while I parked the car. However, when I put the boat back on the trailer, there was at least ten gallons in the hull. I suspect that the big wakes also splashed

104_7209.jpg104_7210.jpg104_7222.jpg104_7209.jpg104_7210.jpg104_7222.jpg

some water inside the cowl which the carb picked-up. Since I did not run the engine long enough to steam off this water, it rusted the internals. Unfortunately for you, I did not think to take any photos.

Judging by the way the engine idles and accelerated on muffs, the TC carb is too big for the engine displacement and the engine appears over-carbureted. I will find out for sure next time I have it on the river. I will also bring the original carb with me so I can swap it back while there.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: New one on me!

Frank, I think you got the barefoot sking thing wrong.
You just might loose a toe or too being that close??? :)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: New one on me!

Oh come on, Jerry! I am not barefooting. I am simply getting more weight on the back to raise the bow for more speed.