New lower cable adjustment

Jsiples

Seaman
Merc 140hp I4 just finished installation of lower shift cable and I am trying to determine where brass barrel needs to be. I have the stud on the plastic end guide in the bottom of the slot. I have read six inches from center of nut eye to center of barrel. When would this be achieved if I have the shifter in full forward and lock the prop in the counter direction the barrel is way too far advanced from the nut? I am sure this is an easy fix I just need to know the right adjustment. I read a how do I in mercstuff and it says to go forward then back to reverse till it's right on both ends and so forth, but I am still having issues. Could there be an issue on the upper cable?

paultech6

Cadet
Re: New lower cable adjustment

While you are inside boat have someone outside turn the prop counterclockwise to the left and you holding cable push it in all the way . Then Take barrel and adjust on the threads until the center of the barrell to the hole in the plastic slide is 6 inches.
Install it and dont touch it anymore that is the factory setting.
To adjust your shift point it is done with the cable that goes to shifter box ( upper Cable )
When you shift into gear you notice that there feels like a detent when it goes into gear . Your adjustment should get it to engage just before the detent and the same in reverse just before reverse detent.

You do this by adjusting the barrell on the upper cable till you get both engaging eqaully before the detents.
Make sure your intermittant shift switch is working or you will have to really pull it out of gear . Its designed to momentarily kill engine to allow you to shift outta gear.
If you still have an adjustment problem you may have not seated the cable all the way into the drive bellhousing
You could also have an out of adjustment shift spool in lower unit . Hope this helps

Jsiples

Seaman
Re: New lower cable adjustment

Helped very much so thanks, and your a cadet?....... ;)