New issues with my outdrive shifting from forward to reverse

LastCall1983

Seaman
Ok i had the issue with the gears grinding in my MC-1 with ford 351, i was able to fix that. When i adjusted it out i didn't have the throttle linkage connected to the carb because the carb was rusted and wouldn't move. I put my new carb on once i got it shifting correctly. It wouldn't move into full forward throttle. i forced it and it finally went in. I started the boat and it wouldn't fully engage into forward or reverse then. Could the throttle cable have been frozen up and when i forced it maybe it threw something on the throttle control out of alignment? i even disconnected the throttle from the new carb and still couldn't get it adjusted back out.. it's like it kept bouncing around all over the place as far as when i adjusted it.. it didn't make any sense.

LastCall1983

Seaman
Re: New issues with my outdrive shifting from forward to reverse

I know this sounds like just another person that doesn't know how to adjust the shift cable but it just won't work. I can manually pull the shift cable (new cable that i think is aftermarket) out to lock reverse and in to lock forward, and i can adjust it where it's CLOSE to locking into both gears but every since i connected the carb it won't lock into both gears as it should. It was locking in near the detent on forward and reverse but now no luck.

Could it be that my control cable is stretched causing the issue? When i get forward to lock i don't have enough throw to get reverse.. it's off by like 1/4 inch. I'm getting frustrated now and thinking of taking it to guy locally that does work. Just hate for it be something simple after all of that...

In theory if it's not the cable (even though i can manually pull the cable and get it to lock in both gears), what else could it be?

Ok i had the issue with the gears grinding in my MC-1 with ford 351, i was able to fix that. When i adjusted it out i didn't have the throttle linkage connected to the carb because the carb was rusted and wouldn't move. I put my new carb on once i got it shifting correctly. It wouldn't move into full forward throttle. i forced it and it finally went in. I started the boat and it wouldn't fully engage into forward or reverse then. Could the throttle cable have been frozen up and when i forced it maybe it threw something on the throttle control out of alignment? i even disconnected the throttle from the new carb and still couldn't get it adjusted back out.. it's like it kept bouncing around all over the place as far as when i adjusted it.. it didn't make any sense.

Bondo

Staff member

I know this sounds like just another person that doesn't know how to adjust the shift cable but it just won't work. I can manually pull the shift cable (new cable that i think is aftermarket) out to lock reverse and in to lock forward, and i can adjust it where it's CLOSE to locking into both gears but every since i connected the carb it won't lock into both gears as it should. It was locking in near the detent on forward and reverse but now no luck.

Could it be that my control cable is stretched causing the issue? When i get forward to lock i don't have enough throw to get reverse.. it's off by like 1/4 inch. I'm getting frustrated now and thinking of taking it to guy locally that does work. Just hate for it be something simple after all of that...

In theory if it's not the cable (even though i can manually pull the cable and get it to lock in both gears), what else could it be?

Ayuh,.... How new is new, 'n who installed it,..??

In theory, it sounds like it's the cable,... that's typical symptoms of an outer casin' that the inner cable has worn a groove in,...
Not enough travel,...

The only other thing is the linkages/ bellcranks/ bushin's in the gimbal housin',...
Pull the drive, 'n Look for slop in there,...

LastCall1983

Seaman

New as in never been in the water.. I installed it.

I had it shifting fine into reverse and forward and then i connected my throttle cable to my new carburetor. without the engine going i went to WOT and it stopped well short of WOT... i gave it a nudge and it went on. Then i started the boat and it went into reverse fine, but when i went to forward it cut the engine out. I adjusted the barrell a turn or two and i can either get neutral or i can get reverse.. i'm wondering if i stretched it when i shoved it when the throttle cable seemed stuck.

I didn't change the upper cable and the throttle cable to the carb isn't new either.

Ayuh,.... How new is new, 'n who installed it,..??

In theory, it sounds like it's the cable,... that's typical symptoms of an outer casin' that the inner cable has worn a groove in,...
Not enough travel,...

The only other thing is the linkages/ bellcranks/ bushin's in the gimbal housin',...
Pull the drive, 'n Look for slop in there,...

Bondo

Staff member

New as in never been in the water.. I installed it.

I had it shifting fine into reverse and forward and then i connected my throttle cable to my new carburetor. without the engine going i went to WOT and it stopped well short of WOT... i gave it a nudge and it went on. Then i started the boat and it went into reverse fine, but when i went to forward it cut the engine out. I adjusted the barrell a turn or two and i can either get neutral or i can get reverse.. i'm wondering if i stretched it when i shoved it when the throttle cable seemed stuck.

I didn't change the upper cable and the throttle cable to the carb isn't new either.

Ayuh,... The common point of the issue is the Controller,....

I guess I'd start there,...

Disconnect the carb, 'n see if it shifts again,..

I'm as new to the forum as you are, and my first post was about shift problems. I was referred to the manual. Here is the link. I literally replaced all the parts from the shift cable to the lower shift shaft. But the biggest thing was following the steps to get it adjusted correctly. Perhaps you are using the same manual. It sounds like the interrupt is moving enough to cut the engine. Pg 1C-37 or 38 covers the troubleshooting of the shifter.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1TAvwZ3TjhfOVRUNEk0anBUR3lQYTkwcUh5RElUQQ/edit?usp=drive_web&pli=1
Hope this helps