new impeller?

mkrupp

Seaman
i have a 87 hp erude, took it to the lake this weekend. get it in the water, start it up, very little water comes out the hole, more comes out at higher rpm, will not shoot water when idleling. Is it time for a new impeller and is that something i can do myself. I have some mechanical skills. If i decide to do it myself what is a good manual to get?
Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: new impeller?

If you're talking about the pee hose(Telltale), you might want to try and clean the tube out. Sometimes they get logged up(Mud dobbers and such). Blow out with compressed air or run a wire up through there. Can you hold you hand on the head for a few seconds without getting burned? You may or may not be overheating. If it's been 2 or more years since the waterpump has been changed, then it's time. You can do it with a Manual and some advice from here if you get stuck. Just a matter of unbolting and rebolting things up. Factory Manual cannot be beat:

http://www.kencook.com/evinrudejohnsonmanuals/ ] Click Here [/url]

mkrupp

Seaman

thanks rickdb1boat i know the hose is clear, that was the first thing i checked, is the waterpump different than an impeller?

mkrupp

Seaman

oh yea, didn't want to touch the head, thought i might get burned, it didn't seem overly hot though. when i would feel the water exiting the pee hole, it was pretty warm, not scalding hot, but pretty warm

Pony

Rear Admiral

The impellor is just a part of the water pump. You will want to get a water pump kit so that it will have new orings, gaskets, cup and impellor.

What hp are we talking about?? I just changed a waterpump on an 88' 25hp Johnson. The factory manual goes through it step by step and is easy to follow. A word of advice..........................try not to break the shift shaft keeper if you shift rod is coupled by bolts behind the water intake screen. I destroyed mine and have to wait till wednsday for a new part.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

mkrupp

Seaman

pony, it's a 8 hp
rickdb1boat thanks for the help and part number, much appreciated

mkrupp

Seaman

the only parts i can find online for this motor is an impeller, no kits for the complete rebuild?

mkrupp

Seaman

thanks rick,
called the dealer today, he's got one ordered for me for wed. now honestly how hard will this be, i want it for this weekend and the dealer can't do it so it's up to me. how many hours are we looking at? roughly, this will be my first pump done.
thanks for all the help

mkrupp

Seaman

Will there be any gaskest grease or special lubes i will need to complete this job? just so i know to buy them before i get home so i can tear into it right away

Pony

Rear Admiral

Its not a hard job at all. I did mine in about an hour or so, the hardest part for me was getting the lower until back on..........helps to have someone slowly turn the flywheel to get the drive shaft all the way in its coupling.

You will want some gasket sealer. You need to use it on the housing gasket, housing bolts, and gearcase bolts.

OMC triple Guard or some marine grease to lube the driveshaft splines.........don't lube the top though as it may interfere with the seating of the drive shaft. Also great for lubing the new o-rings.

You will need some oil for the new cup, provided you are replacing it.

I used a little vaseline to get the impellor into the cup more easily.

A manual really helps if you have one. It will guide you bolt by bolt through the process.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a Manual? If not, when you pick up the pump, ask the dealer for one. Once you get that, I can't imagine it taking more than a few hours. You may want to pick up the Manual right away and read through it to get prepared. If you get stuck, have your typing finger ready, as there is always help here. Post a new topic for faster response if you do get in trouble. Here's a primer :

http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/waterpump.wmv ] Click Here [/url]

91cajun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Couple of things to pay attention to:

1.) Look at or take a digital picture of your old impeller in the cup so you'll remember which way it goes in.

2.) Line up the key on the drive shaft to the keyway on the impeller prior to trying to put it back on. If you need to pull the shift rod to put it in gear and turn the prop to help line it up. Then shift back to original postion before re-installing the lower unit

3.) Make sure you line up the water intake tube. If you don't you'll be removing the lower unit and doing it again. I used a little dish soap on the water intake grommet to help it slide on the water intake tube.

I recommend the complete kit with the housing. You don't know what your going to find when you open it up and in my case the price was the same. Cheap insurance.

One other thing, on my pontoon boat the water was leaking out of the water pressure pick up hose and it made the telltale look very weak. There was no problem with the impeller back then but, i would have never found the water leak if I hadn't been running it on the muffs in the drive way. Make sure there are no water leaks under the cowling. I believe you said it was a 8 HP so , I doubt you have a pressure gage on the dash.