new impeller which way ?

mark1rev

Seaman Apprentice
hi every 1 just put new impeller in 50 merc 1987, dont know if i put the new 1 back in the right way round .i put back together and water pumps out the pee hole also there was a rubber tube cut at the back ? dont know what thats for is it a speedo or tacho tube as its inside engine ?

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: new impeller which way ?

Put the impeller on the shaft, then turn the shaft clockwise while pushing the housing down onto the impeller.
Some dish liquid lubes the impeller and makes it go on easier.
In your next to last picture, the vanes are backwards. But on that type pump, they WILL turn around when the shaft is turned.

mark1rev

Seaman Apprentice

yes the second to last pic is how i put it in, and the last pic is it running after i put it back together

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

The impeller vanes are pointing in the wrong direction. The shaft spins in a clockwise direction from above. You'll probably find that if you took it apart all of the vanes would have flipped themselves over by now anyways. The decision to take it apart again is yours to make. May, or may not be necessary. The fact that it is pumping water well suggests its okay.

The small 1/4" tube coming out from the front is for the pitot tube speedometer. If you're not using it, it should be plugged and secured out of harms way.

mark1rev

Seaman Apprentice

ok i might take apprt to check, does it look like enouht water is coming out it also comes out the holes below the pee hole ? thanks

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

If it were me, I'd leave it as is. That looks like a good stream of water. The rectangular exhaust ports typically spit moisture out. Some motors a lot, others not so much. Nothing to be concerned about.

Don S

No need to take it apart. On the pumps with the short vanes like you have, they will turn around on their own. The floppy vane pumps with the long blades would not.

mark1rev

Seaman Apprentice
parts missing on water pump

parts missing on water pump

just been on a parts website, there seems to be lots missing of mine. the parts missing are 27, 28 ,33 ,31 only part 32 the tube that slides down is there ?serial number ob226365 50
merc

DSC00319.jpg

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

mk1~

thx for the pix posting. i am not working on a merc, but the pix are informative, none the less since will be doing the same soon.

regards

lakester :cool:

Don S

Re: parts missing on water pump

Re: parts missing on water pump

You might want to get the parts you have missing, along with a service manual so you know how all this stuff goes together and don't have to put it together and take it apart half a dozen times.
The manual you need is Merc PN 90-86135--5