New generation of 4-stroke

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know how is doing the new generation of 4-stroke from 2007 and up ? Are they doing good so far, any major problem, or any weakness ?

I am looking for feedback on 90 or 115-hp.

Thanks

Mario

CWCW

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New generation of 4-stroke

cloumar,
im interested in this topic also. I have been trying to find some comments on the newer Merc 4 stroke motors in the 50hp and 90hp range. I put out a post earlier on this topic but just found others wanting to listen in and learn also but they had no personal experience with the newer smaller class 4 strokes. Do you know what is different about these newer 4 stroke Merc outboards?

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some of what I am about to say is anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt. I have read some really good feedback reports on these engines. Of particular note to me, owners are reporting they have more power and top end speed than the YamaMerc hybrids they replaced. I would personally purchase one in a skinny minute if I was in need of a repower.

I have read a few reports indicating a recall on certain starter motors on the 115's. You really ought to research this further though before taking my word for gospel on these purported starter failures. Sometimes, its hard to separate "The wheat from the chaff" on anonomous interent forums.

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks BigJohn for what you found so far, I will tell you in about 1 month or so how they go so far, I just bought a boat 2007 and it has a 115-HP 4 strokes on it.

Mario

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I have an 07' 90 HP Merc. Fourstroke and it runs great. Has plenty of power and is good on fuel. I only have about 65 hours on it so far, but very happy with it and I'm sure you will be too. I would recommend getting a Smartcraft gauge for it. Gives lots of important info and well worth the money. A Smartcraft tach and harness will run you about $350.00 from Livorsi Marine...

http://www.mercurymarine.com/otherproducts/smartcraft/