new engine set up questions

garyoja

Seaman Apprentice
hello finally got the new engine in and started last night for the first time .
i had a newer style vortec 350 built 4 bolt mains mechanical fuel pump . specs are 9.3:1 comp cams xtream marine 270 hr .eddlebrock performer and a 600 cfm carb . balanced ect
the boat is a 1981 with an updated alpha drive thunderbolt IV .

engine builder told me to set base timing at 8 to 10 deg

I was wondering what it should idle at manual says 650 to 700 in gear so what should it be on the trailer ?

i set the rpm with my snap on timimng light at 750 as my tach is pooched is this correct ?

next the engine came with 15w 40 in it oil presure is crazzy high at 1800 rpm it was about 80 psi i want to drain the oil out tonight as per builders insturctions after 20 min . what should i put back in ?

Last question i noticed when i idled it down after 20 min that it seemed to change idle speeds up then back down noticable to the ear any ideas ?

garyoja

Seaman Apprentice
Re: new engine set up questions

also should have mentioned i checked for reversion after it idled and its all good .
and builder uses rotela t

Bondo

Staff member

hello finally got the new engine in and started last night for the first time .
i had a newer style vortec 350 built 4 bolt mains mechanical fuel pump . specs are 9.3:1 comp cams xtream marine 270 hr .eddlebrock performer and a 600 cfm carb . balanced ect
the boat is a 1981 with an updated alpha drive thunderbolt IV .

engine builder told me to set base timing at 8 to 10 deg

I was wondering what it should idle at manual says 650 to 700 in gear so what should it be on the trailer ?

i set the rpm with my snap on timimng light at 750 as my tach is pooched is this correct ?

next the engine came with 15w 40 in it oil presure is crazzy high at 1800 rpm it was about 80 psi i want to drain the oil out tonight as per builders insturctions after 20 min . what should i put back in ?

Last question i noticed when i idled it down after 20 min that it seemed to change idle speeds up then back down noticable to the ear any ideas ?

Ayuh,... I set the idle to 700 rpms, 'n readjust, if necessary,...

I run Rotella T, 15W-40 in the fleet of boats I service, Without issues,...
Bein' a New motor, 'n reasonably Cold, the oil pressure is Gonna be Higher,...

The Idle issue could be a vacuum leak, bad carb settin's, bad fuel, or the throttle cable not snuggin' the linkage up against the idle adjustment screw,...

garyoja

Seaman Apprentice

ok thats great to know thanks .
I had a noisy rocker arm on one bank so i pulled the riser so i could get the valve cover off and realized that i have a cracked manifold i am thinking there was water in the bottom of it and was kinda rusty inside . this boat is starting to be a pain in the back side . the other manifold was dry .