new engine break in

CKJR

Seaman Apprentice
How many hours is an engine fully broken in. i recently put on a 175 new johnson. does rpm increase and fuel consumption change as break in occurs. i know the owners manual states 10 hrs breakin running at variable speeds with brief w.o.t. then pull back. does idle time count in overall breakin (my canal is 15 min's each way). any thoughts would be appreciated.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: new engine break in

You are running double oil?<br />Compression and power should increase as will fuel efficiency also. Engine should also run cooler when fully broken in.Taking more than ten hours is not neccessary but the longer you take, the better the engine seats in and the longer it will last. Idle time counts some what but not near as much as running at partial throttle. Some time ago engine break in was gaged by the amount of fuel you ran through it and not time.

CKJR

Seaman Apprentice

yes i am running oil in the tank as well as the injection. the motors have about 4 hours on them and i have been breaking them in as i use the boat. im wondering if the best breakin would be a 5 to 6 hour run (without shutting down) at varying rpms rather than idle-run 15 mins and shut off-

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Absolutely...you can break the engine in with a non stop run....if ya got that much fuel onboard. Jus follow the varying speed recomendations and don't lug the engine such as just before the boat pops across to a plane. Lugging is not good for any two cycle...