New Chaparral 196 SSI WT engine options

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: New Chaparral 196 SSI WT engine options

If you're boat is available in outboard version, that would be my preference with the largest motor it's rated for.

Unfortunately,Chaparral does not have any outboard models in their current offerings.

djplourd

Recruit

Everyone, thanks for your replies. Given the advice here I'll probably go with one of the Volvo packages. I understand the push to look for a used one instead but like JimS123 I want to get exactly the boat I want and not have to compromise. At this point I haven't talked to the dealer yet so I have no idea what my out the door price on a new 196 would be. My only pricing reference is the MSRP from Chap's web site (and if the $ isn't quite a bit less than the MSRP $ I won't be getting a new one).

TilliamWe

Banned

His Stingray is a 21 footer. This Chap is a 19 footer. Only 600lbs more for 2 extra feet? Yep, Chaps are heavy boats for their LOAs, the numbers don't lie. And the Z-Plane hull just runs fast in a Stingray.
I stand by my posts as being accurate.

Last edited:

TilliamWe

Banned

You are right they are not the same the stingray clocks in at 3705lbs the Chap clocks in at 3100. So you are right the 605Lbs less that the chap weighs would require the extra HP of the V8.

That 215LF number looks a little high, since a 208 only weighs 2825, less than this 19' Chap listed? And a 19' Stingray weighs 2600lbs? So they gain 225lbs for 1 foot, yet they gain 1000lbs for 2 feet? You think all these numbers are completely accurate?

Regardless, no reasonable person has ever said, "Wow, I wish I would have gotten the smaller engine, so my boat didn't run so fats and pop up on plane so quickly!" ;)

Slip Away

Lieutenant

EDIT

I will agree that more HP is the better way to go, unless budget prohibits it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jkust

Rear Admiral

That 215LF number looks a little high, since a 208 only weighs 2825, less than this 19' Chap listed? And a 19' Stingray weighs 2600lbs? So they gain 225lbs for 1 foot, yet they gain 1000lbs for 2 feet? You think all these numbers are completely accurate?

Regardless, no reasonable person has ever said, "Wow, I wish I would have gotten the smaller engine, so my boat didn't run so fats and pop up on plane so quickly!" ;)

TW is correct however that Chaps are heavy on an apples to apples basis. The Stingray is too far afield from the Chap to compare even if they were the same loa and same weight. Stingrays are designed for speed on the cheap and chaps are not. You buy a Stingray with different expectations than a Chap.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As much as I love real go fast HP and riding/ driving others fast boats, in the end- most of our time on the boat is in a cove on the hook so IMO (or if your needs are like mine), comforts and accessories > HP for a sport boat purpose.

With that having been said: I'm mildly shopping used 21ft bowriders myself and some are V6 and some are V8, too bad it's not like cars where they are lined up on the lot and you can test drive both back to back and get a real feel:(

agallant80

Commander

Hey Slip Away, read a little closer before you insult me, his Stingray is a 21 footer. This Chap is a 19 footer. Only 600lbs more for 2 extra feet? Yep, Chaps are heavy boats for their LOAs, the numbers don't lie. And the Z-Plane hull just runs fast in a Stingray.
I stand by my posts as being accurate.

You are missing the point. The discussion was about weight not boat leanght. The point was that a boat weighing 600Lbs more did just fine with the 4.3. A boat shorter would do better considering there is less weight and leanght to push through the water.

djplourd

Recruit

I just found out that Chaparral is discontinuing the 196 for the 2014 MY. The are coming out with an H2O 21. So much for my plans :grumpy: I didn't want to go up to the 206 and I doubt that I can find a new one at a price I'm comfortable with. I have been looking at used 196s and 206s but haven't found the right one yet. :disillusionment:

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Nothing wrong with sticking with Chaparral.
Take a look at a Monterey 204 FS if it's within budget. Or maybe a used Chaparral 204, if you can find one close.

Good luck in whatever brand/boat you decide on.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I like Monterey. They were one of the few bowriders even close to my Chap back when I got it but you very rarely see one in MN. Looks like that 184 is a good bit downgraded from that Chap196 and the 204 is really the better comparison. I really like that 204. Just a midlevel 204, skipping a few options, is msrp'ing on the Monterey site at almost $53K.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I like Monterey. They were one of the few bowriders even close to my Chap back when I got it but you very rarely see one in MN. Looks like that 184 is a good bit downgraded from that Chap196 and the 204 is really the better comparison. I really like that 204. Just a midlevel 204, skipping a few options, is msrp'ing on the Monterey site at almost $53K.

A couple of things. First a 2013 204FS can be bought for $34K OTD with a V6. MSRP means nothing.
Second, you WILL be seeing Monterey's in Minnesota soon.

WILLISTON, FL– Monterey Boats is honored to welcome River Valley Power & Sport to the Monterey Boats dealer family! River Valley Power & Sport is the premier dealer in the Minneapolis area.

“River Valley is the perfect addition to the Monterey family,” said Monterey’s Director of Sales, Kim Loenichen. “The Monterey brand continues to grow stronger with the addition of each boat dealer.” With three locations River Valley Power and Sport is situated at the heart of all the top boating locations around Minneapolis area

Looking at a Monterey was just a suggestion, OP never asked about them,sorry about that my bad.

Back to your regularly scheduled Chaparral thread.......

jkust

Rear Admiral

A couple of things. First a 2013 204FS can be bought for $34K OTD with a V6. MSRP means nothing.
Second, you WILL be seeing Monterey's in Minnesota soon.

Looking at a Monterey was just a suggestion, OP never asked about them,sorry about that my bad.

Back to your regularly scheduled Chaparral thread.......

Well, if you are offering comparable boat options, I think that is a perfect post. I hope to see some Montereys soon. So sick of looking at Glastron, Bayliner and Sea Ray junk on every lake (as compared to the superior Monterey).