New brake lights turn signals not working. What could be the problem?

cullen493

Seaman Apprentice
I just installed a brand new light kit on my boat trailer and I did everything correct. The brake lights work and so do the hazard lights but when I turn on the right or left turn signals both the lights flash like the hazard lights. Could this be a ground problem I think I have a good ground connection but could be wrong. Has anyone else experenced this and what have you done about it.

JRJ

Commander
Re: New brake lights turn signals not working. What could be the problem?

So far, my ground problems have been solved by taking the trailer for a little spin and it seats better on the ball. Good luck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ummm -- if you are using the ball as a ground you did not wire it correctly. That's what the white wire on both the tow vehicle and trailer side are for. The ball is NOT a good ground.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think you need to check the grounds again. Something amiss somewhere. How was it before the new lights ???

Sea'Scape

Cadet

Grounds can do strange things. Are the lights in the tow vehicle connected in parallel to the trailer lights, ie. not through a relay? Is the other light on the tow vehicle also flashing? Do you have lamps or LEDs in the lights? If the running lights are on, what happens?

If you have lamps, look closely at both filaments and see if they are both flashing. If they are, there is a good chance you have a loop through the running lights and they are all flashing a reduced brightness.

A fast check is to take a length of wire and temporarily connect it to the white wire on the connector and to the mounting bolt on the lamp. If the problem is solved, there is a ground problem If the problem isn't solved, it still may be a ground problem on the towing vehicle.

While pointing at the ground, it could be other things as well. I have seen problems where the filament in a bulb broke and shortd to the other filament. Thatcaused strange things to happen.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I just installed a brand new light kit on my boat trailer and I did everything correct. The brake lights work and so do the hazard lights but when I turn on the right or left turn signals both the lights flash like the hazard lights. Could this be a ground problem I think I have a good ground connection but could be wrong. Has anyone else experenced this and what have you done about it.

Logic says that if you have any working lights you have a ground. The same ground works for all lights.

How did you make your connections? Crimp, soldier/heat shrink, little blue clips?

I would begin at the beginning, assume nothing. One of my trailering buddies had working hazards but the left signal was bad on his new LEDs, after they had been working for 2 months.

Using a multi meter verify proper current from from tow vehicle.

Disconnect all splices.

Re-attach each wire, verify proper operation before moving on to the next wire. Start with one of the signal lights 1st. Then move on to the next.

It is possible, if using incandescent lights, that a bulb is at fault, or a socket is funky.

Go step by step, and you will find it. Or at least you will fix it, even if you don't locate the exact problem.

I prefer soldier, but most use crimp ons. Use quality connectors only, not the "little blue thingies". Heat shrink each connection using quality "adhesive filled" heat shrink. Care now pays dividends latter.

cullen493

Seaman Apprentice

I guess it has a bad ground connection. I wired everything correctly and even thouroughly inspected all of the wireing. I have it grounded in three locations with the white wire (2 on both back sides, and 1 on the coupler)
With the 2 on the back I used crimpers and drilled a hole in the frame. With the 2 on the coupler I exposed the wireing and wrapped it around a bolt and screwed it in tight.