new boat

Dennisn

Cadet
whats a good boat/motor combination in the 19-20ft range for saltwater fishing and family cruising

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: new boat

I think your question is so broad you might scare some people away. I am by means an expert but that is about the same criteria that I am trying to develop an opinion on myself. In my opinion if you want to salt water fish and spend time with the family I have been looking at the dual consoles that the fishing boat people are offering. They basically take there center console hull and put a different cap on it that gives you the open bow for seating, port side console for porta potty and seating in the back. Seems like most mfg have them in the 21-22 foot range. I think some have some 19's. I really like the comforts of a bow rider or deck boat but the hull shapes just didnt seem right for taking out in open water. The dual consoles seem to fit the bill for me anyway. If money was no object I like a wellcraft sportsman 220 or the Scout Dorado, the Hyrda Sport is nice too.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I used to be that builders would provide boats for any brand motor. These days most of them have a deal with one motor brand, and will provide only that brand. So the motor part of the boat/motor combination usually depends on the boat brand. If you are fussy about what motor, then your choice of boats will be limited by that. Here are links to some more threads on outboard motor choices -

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=12498

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=16001

Kelly Cook

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ask your dealer for a boat with "no pre-rigging". That means you get the boat but it would not have an engine or controls. You then have the option of having any engine you want and you don't have to get the engine from that dealer. If the manufacturer or dealer will not honor that order, walk away. In this business climate there is absolutely no reason to spend five figures on a boat and not get an engine you want. Generally this is a dealer issue and not a manufacturer issue. The dealer of course, wants to sell you the package he makes the most money on. Selling you a no pre-rig boat allows him to make a profit on the boat vs no profit at all if he loses the deal. If more people understood that they don't have to accept what the dealer offers the marine business would get back to the way it used to be regarding boad/power plant combinations. Yes, the dealers like to order their stock with one or two power options. It boils down to what's profit for them but it's giving you the buyer no say-so in what engine you get.

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

i was in a similar situation, i needed a boat for 4-8 people and want it for fishing, skiing and cruising. most 19-21' walk thru windshield boats are not good for the gulf, 19-21' cc boats are not good for 8 people. so i bought a 20 1/2' walk thru with i/o and pick it up sunday. i will try it and if it doesn't work, i will sell in spring and buy something different, otherwise i will keep playing the lottery and hopefully be in a situation to buy a boat for every occasion one day

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the bow rider are fine for the gulf, you just buy the bow cover, and go on.

i have a 23 Chris Craft Deck boat, with bow cover, is a great all round boat. we go the the Loe Key 7 miles out in the keys several times a year.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could you give us some more info? How many people, where do you intend to use the boat, women or small children that need a head and a place to get out of the sun? The more info you provide, the better info you will get.

One of the most important things to do first is to find the best service provider in the area. Having a good dealer with good certified mechanics will help you decide what motor manufacture to go with. I know we are all loyal to a certian brand, but to be honest, they all make excelent products. I would try to stick with an outboard for saltwater. Try to find a pre-rig boat to save some money. Buying seperate will cost you big extra bucks that you don't need to spend.

With the little info provided, I would say for now go with a dual console or w/a model with an outboard and a full fiberglass liner(no carpet) that has good dealer suport in your area.