New boat with new trailer

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got a new boat to me with a trailer equipped with brakes.

I have never hauled a trailer with any type of braking system and am confused on the "plug" type to use. My 2005 Ford F150 truck has a factory installed towing package with 2 types of plugs. a 4 pole and I think a 7 pole. The trailer has a 4 pole type of wiring. But when I look at the plugs on the truck. It says trailer brakes on the 7 pole.

I bought a brake box from a friend of mine who has the same truck and he says that he used the 7 pole when he hooked up his trailer with brakes.

Is there an adapter you can get to go from 4 to 7? Is this the right way to do this?

I tried searching the site but cannot find anything.

crablegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New boat with new trailer

Yep you will find adapters at most hardware and auto parts stores!

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it normal for a trail with brakes to have a 4 pole connector?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't have electric brakes with a 4 pole plug on the trailer - no brake controller needed. You have surge (hydraulic) brakes, if you have trailer brakes. Make sure you hook-up the extra cable/chain to the truck for safety brake back-up if the trailer and hitch separate.

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You don't have electric brakes with a 4 pole plug on the trailer - no brake controller needed. You have surge (hydraulic) brakes, if you have trailer brakes. Make sure you hook-up the extra cable/chain to the truck for safety brake back-up if the trailer and hitch separate.

Is that what it is? Is that why it has a brake fluid reservoir? And yes there is an extra cable that I do have to attach.

Can you explain how it actually works? The brakes are actually disc not drums.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Cobra, when the truck brakes are operated the weight of the trailer forces against the trailer tongue which is hinged (not the right word) to apply pressure on the master cylinder (with the reservoir) and through the brake lines to the brake discs or drums. The harder you brake the truck, the harder the trailer brakes are applied. Sometimes backing up a hill can be tough if the trailer brakes don't have a system to disable them when you shift the truck into reverse. Answer your question? Google trailer surge brakes and you might find some diagrams. Hope that helps you.

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, when you apply your brakes, you'll probably feel a little sort of shove come from the trailer and boat. That is the weight of the boat and trailer compressing that master cylinder and appllying the surge brakes. As previously stated, it can be a pain to back up a hill. On the tongue there should be a pair of holes that will align when there is no load on the brakes. You can put a pin / screw driver / etc down through those holes once there aligned to disable your surge brakes. However you might have some other disabling device as well. A standard 4 pin connector will do what you need. I installed the 7 pin on my rig so that I could use the LED reverse lights I built and put on my trailer.

superbenk

Commander

I ordered my hydraulic surge disc brakes with a backup solenoid that closes off the brake line when the truck is in reverse so they don't lock up when the truck is pushing back on the trailer. This requires a 5th wire which should be blue. This is useful: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the replies!!!!!
Can't say it enough...This site rocks!!!

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

Can't say it enough...This site rocks!!!
i might be able to help you there, This site rocks!!!
only time you will need that 7 way plug is if the trailer has electric brakes and then you need the controller under the steering wheel to accualy use them. but plugging a 4 way into a 7 way will only give you lights and blinkers and vice versa 7 way into a 4.

tpassmore

Seaman Apprentice

i have 2 trailers with 4 plug and one with round. so bot 2 adapters at Wal Mart. no biggie.