New Boat Owner - Deep Rehab Project. (pics)

pred8tr

Cadet
Re: New Boat Owner - Deep Rehab Project. (pics)

I have finally concluded my attempts to get the motor running.

When I first got the boat I identified the motor; a Mercruiser 120 as beonig based on a GM 2.5L 153 i4. Based on the year of the boat I figured it was a 1970. With this info I replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor; all for a 1970 Chevy Nova with a 153 2.5L i4 (I know these are not marine components). I changed the oil too. I mapped out the ignition wires since there is no key. I found the accessory wire as well as the starter wire.

Since I've broken the nipple of the mechanical fuel pump I've been using ether and / or gas in the carb as my fuel source.

I tried to start it numerous times at first and it spun but made no attempt to start. After days of this and tinkering I went to the autozone and got a compression tester.

Front
Rear

So I found these numbers to be a little shocking... I *think* compression generally get around 110...

A strange thing happened. When checking the compression it sputtered for the first time as if it were thinking of starting.

I messed with it for a couple more hours and that's all I could get out of it... a few preignition sputters.

With that kind of compression should I even think it's capable of running? I know those numbers are bad... but I am not trying to take it down the river... just get it to run so when I part with it I can tell the buyer about the bad compression numbers BUT also that it runs.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Your compression is low in three of the four jugs...and all four should be within 10 to 15% of each other. The 30 reading is way low. Might try soaking the cylinders in some Sea Foam or a mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid...rings might be stuck in one or more cylinders...then retest compression. Depends on where you want to stop in this process, if you're not going to keep it.

pred8tr

Cadet

Hey folks. I've been away for a while but now I am preparing to remove the sterndrive and engine from this boat. Essentially I am going to remove all usefull items and prepare the hull for the landfill. I've done some reading on removing the stern drive and that doesn't look too challenging. I also expect the fuel cell to come out easily... I am still unsure of some of the terminology though. What do you call the device the sterndrive mounts to that allows it to pivot? I have not found detail on removing that and am still looking for further info on the actual engine pull itself though I don't expect it to be too challenging assuming I have chain hoist and sufficient room. Any input appreciated.

jonesg

Admiral

You messing nuts and bolts?
Chainsaw the transom and rip it out.. :)