new boat owner 150HP Merc issue

AllAboard

Seaman
Hello, name's Doug. I'm the proud new owner of a 1977 Ranger 1750 Fish & Play boat. It is in great shape. Asking price was 2K. I traded a Big Red 3-wheeler & a small utility trailer for it...valued around $1300 total. I think I did good.

He put on the muffs, started and ran good. It has 2 Hummingbird fish finders on it, Minnkota trolling motor & a 150 HP Mercruiser outboard. The trailer looks like it's brand new, must've been refurbished not long ago. I'm an exited individual right now.

Now the bad........I'm good at fixing about anything but new to boats. I was told before I looked at it that it needed a new control cable ( he priced it @ $180). When I looked at it it started and ran good but the cable that plugs into the outboard seems loose. Hold it & it runs GREAT....wiggle it & it will cut out, miss & and actually die if you really wiggle it good. looks to me more like a connection issue but probably needs the whole cable replaced for a good fix ??????

That's why I posted here to see what you experts thought about the cable issue. I just joined here and will probably be hitting you guys up for questions, etc...

He said he ran 50:1 for his mixture...sound right?

Any "problematic areas" or heads ups you can give me would be greatly appreciated. The outboard says "THUNDERBOLT IGNITION" on it... 150 HP...model 1500

Sorry for the long post, kind of an introduction too. I will try to snap some pix to post on the forum and a pic of the plug in question if needed.

Doug

Oh yah, are the outboard manuals available for download anywhere? Thanks, I will find one soon either way.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: new boat owner 150HP Merc issue

Doug, That motor is an inline 6 cylinder, right? If so, the last year for them was 1977. Get on the maxrules.com site. It will have the wiring diaghram, which is what you need now.

Clean up the male and female pins on the quick connect. I use a bit of fine sand paper on a drill bit to clean then up. The wires in the boat harness break a lot. The motor harness loses insulation. A new one is avail at surplusunlimited.com

Superjetjim

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my opinion it's often best just to swap out the whole loom for what it costs, spent too many days in the past Dickin about with old/flaky wiring - do you want it to let you down offshore?!

Jim

AllAboard

Seaman

I's not finding the particular cable yet. When I find control cables they look more like...well control cables LOL.. This is more like a wiring harness to me. Anyone know the actual name for it. Previous owner called it a control cable but nothing I find looks like the right part.
Tomorrow, I will get all of my numbers off of my motor and do some more searching. Thanks for the comments... oh, does $180 seem about right to replace that harness/cable????? Thanks again.

oops just noticed you guys called it a harness, LOL maybe I can find it now, yep think I got it now, thanks guys !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Engine Harness is avail at surplusunlimited.com

AllAboard

Seaman

Yah, funny though. I actually found the engine harness right here on iboats too LOL. I'm not sure if I need the engine harness with the male pins...or the boat harness with the female pins...maybe both. I haven't found the boat end yet.

AllAboard

Seaman

OK, got a manual, got a lead on the engine harness, but I can't find the boat side for anything. Is this even available? Would it be a dealer item??? Please help !! I'd like to change both ends for safe measure. Doug

Well anyone know of a cheaper place...chime in.....i found a universal replacement but they're REALLY proud of it...LOL $225...must be made of gold instead of copper....Sheezzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

blazer01

Seaman Apprentice

[urlwww.promarineusa.com
][/url] are very reasonible;);)

Last edited:

AllAboard

Seaman

Ok thanks. I have done ALOT of searching. It seems boatfix.com has them quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else. I think I at least got it down to the right part numbers for the CDI harnesses

engine side 414-2770
boat side 474-9550

I haven't checked promarineusa yet, we'll see, boatrfix.com seem pretty reasonable. At least I've found several places now...haven't tried ebay yet either, thanks for the tips.
Doug