new boat help

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class
im having problems with my 1989 celebrity 4.3 175hp on riser was getting very hot and the other was warm not hot.bot temp got to 170 degrees, i went and replaced thermostat. (ran with muffs), now the boat ran at 150 degrees and the riser still got hot and the same side, what is gusing out all theree hole driver side exhaust was warm, the passanger side was very hot, and the water coming from the inside of the prop was cold, so i took the riser that was hot off alll hole are clear had water in them so i drained it to look at it better, the riser and manifold look in good codition no blockage. flapper still looks new. has good water flow through engine. can someone help on this problem thanks guys

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: new boat help

Have you replaced the raw water pump impeller? That is the first thing you should check on any kind of overheat.

What drive do you have?

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a alpha one, but if there is water going thru engine would that still be an impeller problem

Don S

Sure it could still be the problem if enough water isn't flowing.

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

ohh ok ill check the impeller, one more question don, when i turn my ignition on it clicks, if i keep trying it will finally start, i clean battery post every thing, at is at 12.43 volts, sometimes when i turn the key after it clicks and hold it like im starting it after a few secs it will start . any ideas on that

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

well ive got all 4 bolts loose on my outdrive now my lower unit wont come off any sugestions

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

There is a nut on the front & an Allen bolt under the trim tab(zinc)....;)

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

well the impeller had to chunks took out on 2 fins so im off to the boat store, thanks do i hope this helps my problem, is there any other trick i sould know about when putting the lower unit back on

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

well the impeller had to chunks took out on 2 fins so im off to the boat store, thanks do i hope this helps my problem, is there any other trick i sould know about when putting the lower unit back on
I would backflush the cooling system in an attempt to retrieve those missing chunks, because they can cause problems if they become lodged where you don't want them....;)

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

well got everything almost back in place, the lower unit is almost on but and i can't get it on any further. i tryed spinning the prop but nothing and sugestions thanks

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

not too hip on this stuff ... but i think you need to be in forward gear ..
and did you check alignment ?

Don S

That is why I always suggest to newbe's to remove the drive from the boat not just the lower unit. Then remove the upper.
You need to get the vertical shaft splines lined up, the water tube and the shift shaft, all at the same time. If you have to force it, it's not right.
You have the link to the section of the manual for that.
Here is a link to the rest of the manual. Just scroll to the outline and click on the section letter you want to view.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

well got everything almost back in place, the lower unit is almost on but and i can't get it on any further. i tryed spinning the prop but nothing and sugestions thanks
If you are mating the upper & lower, you must put the helm in foreward & turn the prop ccw while turning the shift shaft cw until it locks in gear.....
You must maintain slight pressure on the prop to keep it locked in fwd.....push it togehter until you can get the two side nuts started.....
You may need to wiggle the intermediate shift shaft (on upper) a little to get it to index with the shift shaft (on lower)....
Do not forget to install the washer that fits over the shift shaft, & make sure to use a new oil passage o ring.......
Do not force them together, they will mate right together when everything is indexed properly.......;)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It actually doesn't have to be in forward - strictly speaking - in order to put it back together. It's not possible to put on the whole outdrive unless it is in forward, but you CAN mate the two halves without it being in forward.

Now, don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting you do it any other way - just know that it is possible to put it together in a fashion other than "forward." As long as the gear shift position and outdrive are the same... (in other words, if it was taken apart in neutral and you didn't move the gear shift, it is possible to put it back together in neutral and be okay.)

Having said all of that - the best way is to be sure the shifter is in full forward and make sure the lower is in complete forward as well, then mate everything together as noted above.

You say you tried spinning the prop... which way did you turn it? With the unit in forward gear, you can "nudge" the prop counter clockwise to make sure the splines are lined up.

Don S

If the upper is on the boat, and only the lower was removed, then it's best to put it in forward when doing just the lower. Reason being, is when you turn the prop CCW with the shift shaft turned forward, you can then turn the splined vertical shaft to line up, when it pops in, the shift shafts are all in the right position.
With the drive OFF the boat, it doesn't matter as you can turn the ujoint shaft to line up the vertical shaft splines and turn the shift shaft to get things lined up. You can also see the tube for the water pump is lined up.
You also don't end up loosing the quad ring that can cost you an outdrive if it gets knocked out of place (sure hope he put a new one in while it was apart).