new boat...bobbing?

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hi. only subject line i could think of. bought a new boat & motor this year. 15.5' spectrum aluminum with 1972 johnson 25hp. when running at full speed, the bow bobs up&down quite a bit. i assume i need to adjust the tilt of the motor. anyone know which way, or should i just try everything. anything else it could be? thanks, tim

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: new boat...bobbing?

Tim, that is called porpising.Bobbing is easier to spell though. Anyway if it bobs cintinually<br />you may need to bring in the propellor closer to the boat.(called rocking it in) The boat will ride a little smoother too.If you want as much speed as possible leave it the way it is and try moving a little weight forward just enough to stop bobbing.<br /> If you trim the boat real flat it will ride smoother but you lose speed. If you trim it bow light it will run faster but it will ride harder<br />and handle a little more touchy. <br />Happy boating, Spike

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: new boat...bobbing?

They call this "porposing", and the trim should be backed away from the transon a bit , or "up".<br />A "Doelfin" or other bolt-on stabilizer can also help a great deal with this effect, if the trim doesn't get rid of it.