new bilge pump

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey guys i just baught the Attwood Sahara 500 bilge pump and it was complete garbage.. barely any pressure comming out of it.. i was wondering what a good pump would be.looking to get somewhere around 800gph. i need it to be 3wire also.. Thank you.

sasto

Captain
Re: new bilge pump

Rule and Rule only for me.....my vote.

rwidman

Lieutenant

hey guys i just baught the Attwood Sahara 500 bilge pump and it was complete garbage.. barely any pressure comming out of it.. i was wondering what a good pump would be.looking to get somewhere around 800gph. i need it to be 3wire also.. Thank you.

500 GPH is 500 GPH. Why is this "complete garbage"?

We're not looking for "pressure" here, we're looking for volume.

You will lose capacity if you have a long discharge hose, too small a hose, a restriction in the hose, or too high a lift.

Also, too low a voltage powering the pump (a voltage drop from poor wiring).

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class

idont know...i turned it on with hose attached and no water came out.. then i took the hose off and had it running with my hand infront of the discharge and nothing came out but a little puff of air

rwidman

Lieutenant

idont know...i turned it on with hose attached and no water came out.. then i took the hose off and had it running with my hand infront of the discharge and nothing came out but a little puff of air

Don't get mad, but - It's not wired backwards, is it?

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class

umm i dont think so... black black, tan tan, tan w.white to tan w./e white

rwidman

Lieutenant

umm i dont think so... black black, tan tan, tan w.white to tan w./e white

If the original pump worked with that wiring, then it's not wired wrong. Why did you replace the original?

Also, check to see that you're actually getting 12+volts at the point where the pigtail leads connect to the boat's wiring. Or, take it out and connect it directly to a known good battery.

Then, of course, sometimes a defective pump slips through. You should be able to return if for a replacement or refund.

Some Attwoods have a check valve, if it has one make sure it is installed correctly or remove it. If you leave it in remember to drain the hose when you winterize. Also stay away from the rule 1100 automatic, they don't last. I've always had good luck with rule but the automatic turns on every 2.5 minutes if it detects water it keeps pumping until dry. I had one & it didn't last 6 months.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got a hand pump? You'll need it if u get into trouble. Just 'cuz it's rated for 500 g.p.h. doesn't mean it will move that much water, which it won't. Not even close.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Exactly what I was thinking. Mine (a cheapy) won't get ALL the water out, and I'm fine with that.

No bilge pump, no matter what the cost, will get all the water out.

A normal setup will leave about 1/2" - 3/4" of water in the bilge so if the OP is testing with less than that, it's the testing that's defective, not the pump.