New Bearings, but feel Grinding When Not Tight

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
I installed new bearings, but when I tighten the nut and turn the hub I can feel a grinding somewhere. The spindle has been scarred where the outer race mounts, but I sanded it so there are no protrusions. Any ideas as to what the problem is? After I loosen the nut the hub spins freely/smoothly, but I am concerned that with the weight on the axle the bearins will grind.<br />Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Bearings, but feel Grinding When Not Tight

Did you replace the outer races as well or just the roller part of the bearing? If you did replace the race, how did you drive them in? It may be that you cracked or chipped the race as it was being installed. The only checks you can make is remove the bearing, clean everything up and inspect the race and bearing verrrrry carefully. Any pits, nicks, scratches on a roller or race render it useless. IT WILL FAIL.

tommays

Admiral

What do consider tight ? <br /><br /> The nut is usally just turned hand tight and just a bit more to line up with the cotter pin holes <br /><br />Useing a wrench to make it TIGHT is gonna be to tight<br /><br /><br />And like UP said if the outers are not in flat that will cause problems <br /><br />tommays

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed the outer races (sleeves) by carefully tapping various sides with a hammer until it got started, then driving them in with wood placed on them. I tightened the nut 30 Ft-Lbs or so then backed it off and finger tightened it. The grinding occurred when turning the hub while tight, which I did not see on the other side.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

So one's grinding, and the other is not...with the same installation method? If that's the case, then you either damaged the noisy bearing/race while installing it or you got a defective one. Doesn't really matter which.<br /><br />If I were you I'd do the grumbling side over again with new parts...kinda sucks, but not as much as a smoked bearing on the highway...I'd expect a good parts store to exchange one bearing for you for no charge if you explain the situation and have the receipt that proves a very recent purchase.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Bearing drivers are very inexpensive and you can even make one. Take the outer race with you to your local home center. Head for the plumbing section and find a pipe coupling the same diameter as the race. Then add a short nipple to the coupling and top it off with a cap. Use black iron or galvanized which ever suits you tast. Start the race into the hub with a piece of scrap hardwood. Once started, the race can be driven "squarely" home with your cheap driver.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good idea for the driving tool.<br />Do you think the bearing sleeves can be seated cocked? Seems like the clearance is so tight that it would be square, or the compression when you tighten the nut would square it up. If it can be off, that might be the problem. I'll take it apart to inspect.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

upinsmoke, the pipe has to contact the rim of the race all the way round, right? But if it's the same diameter, won't the fit inside the hub be too tight? would some grease in there be a good idea? I had one last time, I never did get it in right - even with a rented driver - replaced the hub and kept this one for an emergency spare - if I can ever get a race seated!<br /><br />Rhadley, you can get 'em in there cockeyed...I had one get sideways coming out - it was a b**ch, when it got to the opening, where part of it was outside the hub, I was looking at it, considering what to do next - I saw a spark, heard a "ping" - dang thing shattered! Not from a blow - just from the tension! A shard hit me just under my eyebrow, left a cut...almost put my eye out!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The object is to pick a pipe coupling thats slightly smaller in diamter than the race. I use a pipe reducer. It fits the race but a smaller diameter pipe can be screwed into the other end. Yes -- it can't be so big that it won't fit the hub. Get them started squre with a sharp blow on a hardwood block that covers the entire race. Drive it flush with the block of wood and finish up with the driver. Using a drift punch, big screwdriver or some other tool that only contacts in small areas is a good way to mess up a perfectly good race. Too easy to slip. A dab of grease will not hurt anything. Another trick is to put the race in the freezer for a few hourse before you insert it. While its in the freezer, put the hub in the oven at 175 degrees for a few minutes. The race will practically fall into place. Just do it when your significant other is not around.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Don't ever directly drive a race with a hammer - always use a piece of wood to prevent dinging the race. If it was in slightly cocked it would tend to drag and then free up while rotating. The way I adjust them is to torque to about 35 ft/lbs while rotating the hub, then stop and back off until loose, and finger tighten as tight as you can with your fingers. Then back off the nut just enough until the castle nut grooves line up with the cotter pin holes, and put the cotter pin in. If after finger tightening the castle nut lines up, back it off one groove on the castle nut. With tapered roller bearings it's better to be slightly on the loose side than too tight.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

My favorite bearing driver is in most people's garage already...assuming you have a complete 1/2 inch drive socket set. Find the largest socket that slides easily into the hub with the backside down on the race...the big flat surface area of the back of the socket distributes the hammer force among the entire race...then use a long extension inserted into the "wrong" end of the socket to hold everything square and to give you something to hit with a hammer to deliver a nice centered blow. That setup often combined with the freezer trick works without fail for me each time.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Bill - bearing drivers are metal. If the tool you use fits properly there is not a problem. In fact the best way to replace a race is to pull it in place or press it in place. The chilled race, heated hub goes one step beyond but its not really necessary.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

When I said don't drive with a hammer, I meant directly hitting the race with a hammer. I use the socket trick too, 3/4 drive sockets for larger races. A press works nicely, but I always start the race first before pressing to ensure it enters straight.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

double post