New Battery, Problems

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Purchased a Batteries Plus Marine Starting battery this spring and 2 weeks ago it just went "click" with no turning over the engine. Turned the Perko switch to the deep cycle and all it did was crank without firing. got really concerned about killing that battery with the length of cranking without starting.

I turned the knob to ALL and it cranked right up. Inspection back at the dock found the + battery terminal on the "starting" corroded under the rubber cover. Took the battery home and gave it the Load test and it passed with flying colors. Then put it on a charger to "top it off" before returning to the boat.

Baking soda / water solution cleaned the terminal, connected everything together and "click" with no turning over. Switch back to ALL and she started up.

Charging gauge shows 13+ when operating.

My thought is to remove the Perko switch and inspect the connection for Battery 1. Seems to be in the wiring since the charging system appears fine.

Any input will be appreciated!

Happy boating!
Robb

foodfisher

Captain
Re: New Battery, Problems

Corrosion could have worked its into the wiring under the insulation. Clean all connections. Visual won't find it all.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you check the ground cables as well. They can also be your problem.

Use a meter and measure the voltage drop while cranking. That will pinpoint the section that has the greatest drop. For example, one lead on the positive post on the battery and one at the input to the switch will measure the drop across that portion of your battery cable. If you do this for all of the cables, you will find the culprit.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are multiple points of failure in the battery cables in your system. Checking just the battery end means nothing. The other end of the cables (both POS and NEG) must be checked as well including those at the engine, solenoid and starter.

Robbabob

Great information, everyone! Weather permitting, we will be on the boat again this weekend and check these things out. Boat is in dry dock.

Thanks! Will update once we review.

Happy boating!!!!

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Although typically assumed to be common, I've measured from battery post to the clamp on the same post, and occasionally find a volt or more across it.

A remove/clean/replace/tighten always cures it.

I realize that in this case, the battery is new, just throwing it out there.

Robbabob

Well... here's a follow up a few months in the waiting! Thanks for all the good input!!!!!!

It seems Imight have been switching from the starter to house battery too quickly after starting; at least that's what it sounds like now. Left it on starter for 5-10 minutes before switching to house and she was starting good again.

Getting to be a PIA, though. We have many start/stops during our time on the lake. Open rear engine hatch, switch Perko to Bat1, go to ignition switch and start engine, back to Perko and change to Bat2, close hatch, etc. Lately, I just put it on ALL and let it ride. Overnight, only use the house battery for the confidence of using the starter in the morning.

Maybe my laziness and regard for the guests on board will cost me a new battery every season.... I dunno.

Happy boating!
Robb