Never buy these fuel filters!

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer
I've had to rebuild 2 carbs because of these crap filters. first time it was because it was already installed when i bought the boat and thinking it was just neglected I installed another one.. they breakdown and get sucked into the carbs after a month or so..Lesson learned never again.. I have a water separator but have this south of that just so i can see if anything is coming from the tank.. I went out to go fishing today and the boat wasnt running right so I limped back to find the filter in pieces(installed it 2 months ago)..:mad:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Never buy these fuel filters!

thanks for the tip.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

be safe add a fuel/water separator, and forget the filters.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

That's good info to know.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't recommend putting this kind of filter on the tank side of the fuel line. A lot of the cheaper filters use paper as the filtering medium. It will hold up forever if you run gasoline through it, but it can't handle water. The water breaks down the paper and you end up with a plugged carb.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I use a filter/water separator, plus a steel mesh in-line filter. Water separator type filters will sometimes allow bits of junk to pass, so I believe a good in-line filter is also important.

DSC_0411R400.jpg

freddyray21

Commander

motor cycle filters. they are small and fill fit under the cowl and also have the metal type element similar to the original filters on the old 50's motors. I don't used a fuel water seperator on my outboards as the gas is usally fresh and not in there very long. I do have one on my I/O

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't recommend putting this kind of filter on the tank side of the fuel line. A lot of the cheaper filters use paper as the filtering medium. It will hold up forever if you run gasoline through it, but it can't handle water. The water breaks down the paper and you end up with a plugged carb.

I should rephrase.. I used a racor water separator(without clear window) then installed this in between the racor and the motor to make sure it was doing its job and it wore away so the only way water got through is if the racor wasnt working(doubt it)..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn?t bother with an in-line with a 10 micron Racor in front of it. Most in-lines are rated 20-40 microns anyhow so the only thing they?re good for is creating fuel restrictions and causing problems as you found out.

I run 1000-1500 gallons of fuel a year through a Racor. Never had a any type of filter failures in the 15 years I?ve been using them. I've had them plug up on me out of my negligence but never a filtration failure

Run a 10 micron Racor and forget the in-lines.