Neutral hard to find on Johnson 120HP

Lowelifer

Recruit
Hello,
1992 Johnson V4 120HP. I'm having a hard time finding neutral with the shift lever. If I do a quick hit reverse then back again then sometimes that will work. Doesn't work at all when pulling shift lever back from being in forward. Was told on another forum my cable needs to be adjusted. OK, I took cowl off and saw where the the shift and throttle cables attach at. So there are two plastic adjustment wheels on a threaded rod right before some levers that I am assuming is where the shifting and throttle action take place as they go on up into the motor. Which one of these adjustment wheels is the one I need to adjust? Am I even in the right area? Yep, I pretty much know nothing but usually good at learning. Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Neutral hard to find on Johnson 120HP

You could have some excessive slop in the shift cable or the control box.

Lowelifer

Recruit

Thanks for the reply...how do I fix excessive shift cable slop or control box?

doesnt you shifter have a notch that is neutral and you have to lift the red lever that's on the throttle to get it to come out of the notch?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Pull the shift cable off of the mtr and push it back and forth to see how much play is in it.

Lowelifer

Recruit

Well, I checked out the neutral notch theory and it engages like it should when it's not running. I did notice my shift lever had quite a lot of play in it. Hopefully something as simple as out of position. Going out Friday so I will be able to test it out running. I caved and bought the shop manual for whatever else it might be.

There's a few screws in the shifter that have a habit of coming loose so the shifter wobbles. Might be worth taking the shifter to bits and tightening the screws so neutral is a more solid position then just adjust the cable.