Needs weaker dock lines

Jarhead44

Seaman Apprentice
I was out with my boat a coulpe weeks ago and the guy next to me was pulling his boat out. He gets it up on the trailer and forgot to un do the dock lines. Well after 4 tugs i heard what i thought was a shotgun blast and watched the cleat from the dock wizz by this ladys head and launch about a 1/2 mile away.......Good times

jasonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Needs weaker dock lines

That's hilarious!

I watched a truck try to pull another truck out of some clay muck one evening. Instead of chain, they had rope. Even from 50 yards away in my boat, I cringed whenever the truck lunged forward and the rope stretched and groaned. Sure enough, the rope snapped with a loud report and that was immediately followed by an explosion of glass. The rope whipped forward and took out the rear glass of the truck attempting to pull the other out.

I remember smiling when the guy leaped out and got all agitated over the unfortunate turn of events. As if no one could have anticipated such a thing....

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad no one got hurt! PRICELESS!!!:eek:

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Several years ago here in Lake Wylie a storm had broken a piece of dock and blown it across a cove. The next morning the guy takes the boat over and ties a rope off to a cleat and starts to pull it back. The people watching said he tightened up the rope, put the boat in gear, and started straining against the beached dock.

The cleat came loose and hit him in the back of the head killing him instantly.

The moral is be very careful around idiots and ropes.

rndn

Commander

People don't realize how dangerous towing anything with a rope can be if not done properly, sometimes even when done properly. It must have been a site to watch that persons rear window get blown out by the rope.
I was towing a very heavy tree out with my John Deere garden tractor. I wrapped a rope around the 2" ball and started pulling. The rope slipped under extreme strain and spun the ball right off my tractor. The ball shot off of the tractor so loud I could hear it with the motor running. I don't know where the ball ended up as I am still unable to find it. The wife was off the side of the tractor so thank god she didn't get hit by it as I finally got her trained after 20 years. Wouldn't want to have to train a new one again.

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

I do agree with all the warnings about towing, pulling, etc. with rope, especially nylon. Can be handy at times if you watch your load weight, though, simply because of it's stretch factor/ elasticity. That said, I'd like to ask all you believers in the wonders of towing with chain if you've ever seen a chain snap and send a link flying in one direction, and the two ends in two other directions? I have, and it ain't pretty. The thing to remember is towing / pulling is never "safe". Know the limits of your materials, and the weight of your load. Inspect your gear, hitches, and anchor points. Be aware that almost any knot will weaken line strength. Throw an old blanket over your rope/ chain/ cable/ strap. KEEP PEOPLE AWAY!!!!!!! Sorry for going on, but I've seen too many people seriously hurt this way, BTW, I was a rigger for thirty years.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I knew a guy that had a chain snap. He had a chain shaped dent all the way up the back of his blazer. Luckily no one was killed.

Here in Madison, last year I think it was, some kids were swimming off their anchored boat. They forgot to pull up the anchor and took off. When the anchor let go of the bottom, it came out of the water and hit the boat driver in the head head killing him instantly.

Pulling, towing, etc with a rope, chain or cable is a dangerous thing. Even if you know what you are doing, unforseen circumstances can exceed the rating and snap the lines. When that happens is it like a knife or a hammer being shot out a gun.​

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I saw a couple of guys a couple of weeks ago doing something stupid like that. I guess the one guy's pickup had broken down, this is like a smaller s-10 or ranger, smaller truck. It was being pulled down the highway going about 45 or so with a chevy cavilear. The best part about the whole thing is that they were using a garden hose connected between the two. It was hilarious to watch these two idiots. I was on my lunch break so i couldn't follow them too long but it was flexing and getting all white in the middle from the stress. Im supprised that they even got the thing moving like that. I cant believe people sometimes. I dont know how far they had to go but they didnt get off the exit i did and the next one was about 10 miles. I wish i had the time to watch the rest of the show. I bet they didnt make it. they had this hose doubled up and tied like you would tie your shoe strings or something.