need wiring help with 260 merc outdrive

hi first post but have researched here before. 72 glastron cv16ss with a 350 and 260 outdrive. i pulled motor in spring due to bad pan gasket, at some point i snagged the wires going into the shift interrupter and the distrubitor. I need some basic wiring help between the dist and the switch if all possible. thanks guys.
seth

Uraijit

Banned
Re: need wiring help with 260 merc outdrive

Your shift interrupter switch should be simply wired between a ground on the engine/shift plate, and the negative terminal of the coil.

thanks but it still dies when put into gear rebuilt carb and everything help

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I don't know if you have it wired correctly or not... but if you do, and it is dying when you shift into gear, the chances are good that the lower shift cable is either bad or out of adjustment.

Uraijit

Banned

Could be wrong, but I think the interrupt on happens when shifting OUT of gear...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

That's how it is supposed to work normally. But if it is stiff, then the switch will engage and kill the engine when shifting into OR out of gear.

i cant get a shop to work on my boat! four different shops wont touch it due to the high performance applications that have been added to the motor. I am kinda stuck on my own. the switch works cause i can flip it with the motor running and it kills it of a second. however when it is out of the water it shifts fine. stick it in and it dies.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It definitely sounds like your lower shift cable needs to be replaced. Those are classic symptoms. If you are handy at all with wrenches it isn't too hard to replace the cable. Get a copy of the manual - or check out www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm