Need VHF Help

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
My boat does not currently have a VHF radio, but I would like install one. From what I understand it is OK to go cheap on the radio, but extra investment should be put into the antenna. I don't understand the differences between the antenna types, so I am hopping to get some advice from the pros on the best antenna for my situation. My primary boating lakes have good cell phone coverage, so a VHF radio has not been a priority. This summer I would like to go to Lake Powell making a VHF radio installation a priority. With that said, I need an antenna that will give me good support in a steep canyon environment. I realize that line of site is going to be a challenge in the canyon environment of Lake Powell, but I still need to determine the best all around antenna for this environment. I am hoping to stay around $100 on the radio, and then maybe another $100 on the antenna. I will also need a stainless ratchet rail mount. Finding a radio for around $100 seems easy enough, but I get totally lost when I start reading about antenna's. What recommendations are there for a good antenna used in a canyon environment for about $100? Please share thoughts.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need VHF Help

I bought a used VHF off of e-bay for about $70.00. I also bought a new "wave" 8' fiberglass ant off of e-bay for less than $100.00, can't remember the exact price but do know it was less than $100.00.

I went with the 8' glass ant in hopes to get the optimum reception. Haven't gotten my boat wet yet, but the radio works great in the driveway and I'm an hour from the nearest lake.

Do a search in this forum for VHF radio/ant. There are a zillion posts.

;)

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Need VHF Help

You seem to have a really good idea of the limitations of VHF and how it's the antenna, not the radio, that ultimately sends and receives your signal.​

What kind of boat is this going on? If it's a small one that can and will pitch side to side rapidly, I would go stainless steel whip, as an 8' fiberglass would likely snap off the mount. You can go with one of these odd 5' antennas if you want.​

If your boat is very stable no matter the conditions, definitely go for the 8' and also mount it as high as practical. Having a longer antenna with high gain is good, but if you are forced to mount it on the floor you'd be better off with a lower gain 3' antenna mounted up high. Altitude is your friend on VHF communications.​

I wouldn't expect much more than line of sight though, no matter your installation. The height of BOTH antennas is important though. When 20 miles out you might not be able to reach your buddy 10 miles away with an 8' on his boat, but you might be able to reach the shore antenna 30 miles inland if the antenna is mounted on a several hundred foot high tower.​

You can do a search on this website though, lots of stuff about VHF in here.​