Need tool details (for bunk - rug install task).

I`mNotMe

Seaman
Going to replace existing rugs on boat trailer's 2x4 - 8 ft long bunks. Plan to use rug strips from local boat store (or home hardware store) and proper staples. Like all jobs, I told my wife "this task needs a new tool". LOL!!! With this in mind, do I use Electric Staple gun that uses T50 staples, or air power staple gun that uses 1/4" Narrow Crown Staples? For staples, how long should they be?

I'm thinking air powered 1/4" Narrow Crown Stapler (which is on sale) using 1" long (with 1/4 depth being used for rug's thickness) staples. Or, is this 1/4" wide staple too skinny of hold?

Need to confirm details before buying "a new power tool".

thanks.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Need tool details (for bunk - rug install task).

Use stainless staples and hand stapler or galvanized roofing nails and a hammer.

I`mNotMe

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, arthritis found my hands. Manual staple gun cannot be used.

I found a good You-Tube clip and they are using 3/8" staples with electric 1/4" wide staple gun.

Details within: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4vYikmDbtY

Depending on rug's thickness, I'll probably use 1/2" SS staples.

Based on this info (that worked for them), I'll buy my local "on sale" air power 1/4" wide stapler. Money saved will allow me to buy air power 6" sander at 1/2 price as well. Thus, 2 air tools for the price of one. LOL!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

get Monel staples, the stainless ones still rust, and are not that strong. Monel is required in salt water or just go to roofing nails.

you will need 7/16" long staples

I installed mine with a T50 hand stapler and a hammer for the roofing nails on the ends when I wrapped the end like a christmas pressent. you will also need a sharp utility knife or a good shears to cut the carpet.

I`mNotMe

Seaman

Thanks for your feedback Scott.

Today, I bought the needed air power stapler. Also bought special staples as well. Being special order items, I should have them in 5 days. Also bought "on sale" air sander as well. Thus, 2 x tools for price of one. My arthritis hands will love them. Thanks again for your details - for my fresh water only boat trailer...

I`mNotMe

Seaman

Hi Colbyt.

If wondering, I bought 1/2" (aka: wide) Crown air stapler. Another few days and I'll get both special order staples and air tool. (giant smile). Planning to replace its bunk rugs within our flat driveway. Seen a few you-tube clips and jacking up the boat "1 side at a time" looks do-able. Thanks for your tip about staple remover tool.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

my last bunk job went like this. put boat in water, have friends use boat while I recarpeted in ramp parking lot. go boating remainder of afternoon.

I`mNotMe

Seaman

Update:

This afternoon, I "finally" found some spare time to work on my boat. For it, my wife & I simply bought 2 x new 2x4s, wrapped them with marine grade rugs (using our new 1/2" air stapler tool) in our garage. With boat parked at side of our house, my wife then lifted the rear corner of the boat (using a 2x6 flat leverage board), I blocked up the boat (away from one bunk), I removed its now freed up old bunk, and we both replaced its factory 2 x 4 bunk with newly created bunks. Using this method, we only had to move its steel mounting plate from old to new bunk boards. Then, we tossed the old 2 x 4 bunks in our scape wood pile. Repeated for the other side of trailer / boat. Overall, it went great. And, our new air power stapler works great as well. All now works great.

Thanks for everyone's help...

Last edited: