Need to replace gear shift pin

caisson1

Cadet
I have a '77 Chrysler 120 HP. I removed the gear shift pin thinking it was the gear oil drain plug. How do I put it back in? It seems something is blocking the hole to replace it. It may be the lower shift rod or something connected to it. I since have found the gearcase plug on the bottom of the gearcase. I have a shop manual, but can't seem to find specific information on the gear shift pin.
Thanks,
Chris

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Need to replace gear shift pin

Some people have been fortunate enough to not shift or move the lower unit and were able to get the pivot pin back in. The only correct way of doing it is to take the lower unit apart and connect it. You might be able to remove the lower unit and put it on a bench and work with a flashlight and a wire probbing around till you can see where the links are but as I mentioned taking it apart is the for sure best way. If you do take it apart you should get a new seal kit. If it is a two part lower unit you will probably have to make the seal between units for it is no longer availible. Clymer has real good instructions on dis assembly and assembly.

caisson1

Cadet

Thanks for your reply eurolarva. I can find a hole in the lower shift rod with a small nail and center it but when I pull out the nail, the rod moves a little torward the boat, so I can't insert the shift pin. I can see just a lttle part of the hole in the shift rod. If the pin were designed with a point on it, I think I would be able to slide the pin back in. I will try to raising the tilt and turning the steering wheel to get different angles on the outboard to see if the lower shift rod will hold still long enough to insert the shift pin.

I suppose another option may be to grind down the last 3/16 in. of the shift pin into a point, but I don't know if that would goof something up inside. My other idea is to epoxy a small piece of soft wood on the end of the shift pin in the shape of a cone so it will find the hole and align the rod as you push the pin in.

I may also try to remove the nut on the top of the lower shift rod to see if I can align the hole. Tearing apart the gearcase would certainly be my last option.

caisson1

Cadet

Well, I was fortunate in that my easiest option worked. Raised up the outboard as high as I could get it and disconnected the top of the lower shift rod. I gently clamped a small needle nose vice grip on the top of the rod. Somehow, the holes lined up and I was able to install the gear shift pin. Thanks.
chris