Need TIN Boat Help - Got new motor - too big for my boat!

lordx

Cadet
Hey all - my 8hp 2 stroke johnson motor was stolen from me this year, and I ended up replacing it with a merc 9.9 4 stroke.

Problem is, the merc is 85lbs - compared to 50lbs for the johnson.

My little 12 foot Sea Nymph is already problematic for me (I am 250lbs on a good day). Now with an additional 35lbs in the back, the darn boat is like 45 degrees in the air when I start to drive the 9.9 - and the back corners get dangerously close to letting water in.

The sea nymph has very high benches - which make the center of gravity high, and the boat feels less stable because of this. I took a picture of my neighbors boat (which he was not interested in selling) - and it has lower benches - as well as a beefier/thicker back section where the motor mounts... (my entire back section bends and moves when I go forward with my new motor!!!).

SO - long story short, I am in the market for a different 12 foot boat. One that has lower benches, and a beefy solid back end... I also like how the corners of my neighbors boat raise up from where the motor mounts - that little extra help from water coming aboard may make a big difference with me on it!

I don't know boat lingo, or even good brand names even. So how would I ask (or post) for the the boat I am interested in?

Any recommendations on brands, years, models etc?

I would like to keep the boat 12 feet (because it is beach/sand parked and the beach isn't that deep), but I will go to 14 if it is required to get what I want! tinboat1.jpg tinboat2.jpg tinboat3.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Yours is a shallow boat - low freeboard. You need something deeper.

Our Sea Nymph is a 14R. The R stands for Rugged duty. Its only 13.5 feet long but its deeper and wider than the typical "cartopper". Its also wider. Spec HP is 25, but a 9.9 works outstanding.

Not made any more I believe, but look at the specs and find one comparable.

lordx

Cadet
Thanks for the reply - exactly what I was thinking! I looked and they did make a 12R as well. So that would be a good starting point in my search. Thanks for the valuable info. When I start looking, I just need to say: Wide and Deep (without snickering)?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
What kind of water will you be boating on? If it's choppy at all, I would not want a jon boat; you'd get pounded. Jon boats are OK for smooth water. If your water is bumpy, I'd look at. 14' deep V hull.