Need stern lift ???

Ned Kelly

Recruit
Have just got a new boat it's a sundance K 16 ft 40 hp 2cycle merc all 2006 approx operating weight 1400 lbs top end good power and acceptable hole shot prop is 10 7/8 maybe 11" X 11p aluminum have no tach so cannot validate WOT specs.
My only concern is that the stern seems to be low in the water and bow in the air under low to midrange rpm but when WOT is achieved and back off gas a little it planes nice and always seems to run best motor tilted all the way down, I guess i'm looking for better planing @ slower speeds.
Now I 've been told by various resources I need trim tabs others have said "your sundance K skiff is one big trim tab you need a 4 blade prop and a cavitation plate/wing.
I guess where i need to start is get a tach on the boat & try to figure if my prop is right. Are trim tabs OK on flat bottom skiffs would they help ??? wings or cavitation plates or 4 blade props ????...where to start ??
Thanks !!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need stern lift ???

Many of us that have Merc 40-60 hp motors that use the small diameter props have the same problem, on many different types of boats.

My experience has been that a 4 blade can help.

Also, raising the engine so the anti ventilation plate is 1 - 2 inches above the bottom of hull will help.

If you have room to mount a small set of Smart Tabs on the transom, it will do the best job for you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need stern lift ???

Smart Tab, best $100 buck spent on a boat.