Need some c-4 !

misdeal

Seaman
Been trying for days to free up my steering, 120hp johnson, rod is siezed in side the roll pin, pd blaster, grease, 3lb hammer, monkey wrench on rod while locking down roll pin trying to break them free of each other , no luck,,, any ideas ? thinking maybe just need to try and drive both rod n pin out together but if i do this do i need to brace up the motor and how hard is it going to be to get the new roll pin in place ? sure could use some advice, thanks

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need some c-4 !

What's a roll pin? On the outboard there is a tube (Green line) that the end of steering rod passes through, and there is a cap nut (Red arrow) that holds the steering cable/rod in place. Far end of the steering rod connects to the pivot arm by a nut (Yellow Arrow).

Disconnect the Pivot arm from the steering rod end.
Unscrew the cap nut on the steering tube.
Hit the end of the cable rod to force it back through the tube. Sometimes need to use a heat gun on the tube.

Once you get the steering rod out of the tube. Force a cloth swab, soaked in WD-40, through the tube to clean it out.

Attachments

• steering.jpg
    steering.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0

misdeal

Seaman

roll pin = tube,,,trouble is the rod and tube are siezed together,,havent tried heat yet,,but seems if i take the cap nut off i could drive rod and tube out together, or is that a mistake ? the bigest problem i have is the way the boat is designed the transom sits lower then the boat so i cant get a good hard swing on the rod end,,,thanks for the info

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Can you not put a wrench on the end of the rod and twist it back and forth? I would try the heat and the twisting at the same time. Yes the nut should be completely loose on the other end. Good luck.

misdeal

Seaman

i had a wrench on the rod and the rod and tube both spun, put a wrench on the tube and the rod and no luck was starting to mess the threads up on the tube so i didnt push the issue,,,gonna try some heat and see where that gets me,,im sure if i could get a good swing with a hammer i could get it loose,,thanks for the input,

fishrdan

Admiral

Steering tube is corroded to the steering cable pretty bad, eh?. Try this, rob a can of PlayDough from your kid and make a little well around the tube/cable opening (where the cable exits the tube). IE; shape the PlayDough so PB Blaster will flow down into the tube, instead of running all over the place. Fill up the well a couple of times so you know the PB blaster has worked it's way down into the tube. See if that will free it up, you might have to use some heat if the PB doesn't work.

Once you get it apart, a brass shot gun cleaning brush works good to clean up the steering tube.

If that doesn't work, do the same thing with C-4 and........ :facepalm:

misdeal

Seaman

LOL,,will see if i can find my kids playdough,,,or some primer cord and blasting caps,,,,

misdeal

Seaman

well i tried heat,,no luck, had the rod glowing red and still no luck,,,i attached a pic or pics or atleast i think i did,,,,am i doing something wrong? lol,,leaving myself open on that question,,

Attachments

• !cid__0512112027.jpg
    !cid__0512112027.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • !cid__0512112028.jpg
    !cid__0512112028.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • !cid__0512112027a.jpg
    !cid__0512112027a.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see what you mean about having no room to swing a hammer. I would unbolt the motor from the transom. Leave all the rigging connected, lift the motor with a chain hoist and turn it enough to where you can get a shot with a 5lb hammer. Lube the rod with grease, so when it starts moving it will move easier through the tube.

hidef

Lieutenant

Personally I would cut the steering cable and get the outboard off the transom and on to an engine stand. By the looks of it it would be easier to drive the cable out the left side. A new cable will cost around 140.00 dollars and by the looks of it your going to need one anyways.

misdeal

Seaman

thanks for the info,,,my next move is to cut the cable, id love to lift the motor off the transom but as i have no hoist or engine stand im gonna have to leave it where it is,,so im going to cut the cable try to drive it out the other way and if this dont work im going to try to drive the rod and the tube out together,,,any one have any pros or cons on driving the rod and tube out together ?

phone sails

Seaman

i had to drill out the steering tube of mines when i changed motors and yes you will have to remove the motor from the boat at one point or another ,,either now to remove the cable or later when you have to put the new cable in ,,thinking that you will be able to twist and manipulate the cable to go back in is crazy trust me i spent the better part of 2 weekends trying ,,find a buddy with a hoist or rent one ,,,,remember boating is not a sport for the broke ,,,,lol