need shift rod seal for lower unit of 125 hp Force ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
The lower unit of my Force 125 outboard has the bellows type seal for the shift rod. I have been unable to locate a replacement. HELP !

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Best thing to do is to replace the top plate with one that doesn't use the bellows type seal. The bellows type seal is no longer available.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
I know you are in America, but if you give me the specs ( type of material and dimensions) I can get one made here

http://www.whitepages.com.au/busine...ring-supplies-pty-ltd-891284/marrickville-nsw

More than happy to send it to you. Shouldn't be more than a few Australian Dollars..... Cheaper than the alternative. I am not associated with these guys at all, but they make anything, seals washers ( PT seals and washers ( yes Jerry I need your help) and other bits. Engine mounts etc) If you have the specs, I can get uit made.

Cheers

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The "seal" he's asking about is a rubber bellows that the Engineers really screwed up on.
It was so crappy it only went on 1-2 years and they made almost NO replacements.
The other problem is the pump base was made different too so the bases from the others won't work unless there is a modification.

Someone posted a fix on here a while back, maybe someone will remember and paste a link??

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

You cant find this bellows anywhere on planet earth.
Google "FranzMarine", this guy will fix you up.
I sent him my top plate, he already had one made up and sent it back to me including a different shift rod (required).
Works like a charm....

Attachments

• photo204702.JPG
    photo204702.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo205657.JPG
    photo205657.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 0

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks Gregmsr.....that is the seal I am talking about....and mine is split in the same place the one pictured is. I do not know what year my engine is due to the serial number plate having faded. I understand that this setup was only used for two years. What two years were they ?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
You cant find this bellows anywhere on planet earth.
Google "FranzMarine", this guy will fix you up.
I sent him my top plate, he already had one made up and sent it back to me including a different shift rod (required).
Works like a charm....

Greg , does the guy you are talking about have Grand View, Mo. address ?

Nordin

Commander
Yes, it is Franz?s Marine Service (816) 966-8085 [SIZE=+2]/ [/SIZE]12608 3rd Street, Grandview, MO 64030.
His is awesome, not cheapest BUT he has everything that is available for Chrysler/Force OB and really serviceminded.
I always buy "hard to find" parts from him and I live in Sweden Europ?..........no problem to deliver/ship.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Opps....$157.00 rather...complete kit, o-rings, new bolts, a metal retainer with bend down tabs that holds the seal in place, rod, new (different) top plate. He usually keeps one made up and ready to go for the next poor sap with a blown out bellows...

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Bellows seal problem has been solved. I presented the problem to our mechanical engineer and our machinist , both good friends of mine,and figured out a quick modification. I will be turning a 3" x 2" piece of round stock scrap aluminum on the lathe at work down to what I need. It will bolt right down and uses a $4.00 Mercury Quick silver seal that arrived in the mail last week. The I.D. of the seal fits the O.D. of the shift rod perfectly. We have the scrap metal, we have the technology...probably some beer swilling involved......what could possibly go wrong ?
My new question is : what seal kit do I need to re-seal the rest of my lower unit ? I have it off,....might as well tear it down , re-seal it and remove the worries. It wouldn't hurt to have a quick look on the inside after all of that water intrusion....

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
FK1203 About 65-90$ Depending on who you buy from.
Franz should have it. This site carries some but stops at your year.

I heard of a guy buying a seal kit and the bellows was in the kit??? Wasn't me, but you never know??

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

Here are a couple of pics of the completed shift rod seal modification.....cost me a case of Bud Light for the machinist....he is a cheap date lol...

Attachments

• photo215652.jpg
    photo215652.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215653.jpg
    photo215653.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 0

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Bellows seal problem has been solved. I presented the problem to our mechanical engineer and our machinist , both good friends of mine,and figured out a quick modification. I will be turning a 3" x 2" piece of round stock scrap aluminum on the lathe at work down to what I need. It will bolt right down and uses a $4.00 Mercury Quick silver seal that arrived in the mail last week. The I.D. of the seal fits the O.D. of the shift rod perfectly. We have the scrap metal, we have the technology...probably some beer swilling involved......what could possibly go wrong ?
My new question is : what seal kit do I need to re-seal the rest of my lower unit ? I have it off,....might as well tear it down , re-seal it and remove the worries. It wouldn't hurt to have a quick look on the inside after all of that water intrusion....

Thanks for the part number and all of your help. Now that I have the shift rod seal modification done, the bellows seal will probably be in the kit....lol.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
That looks neat....
When you get it all back together (if you have not already), let us know how it performs under pressure test.
( I found a weeeee little bubble leak in the weld on my fix, but a dab of RTV sealed it right up)

Boatdoc58

Seaman
No Title

Here is another kit recently available. Includes shift rod ( to replace the 2 piece rod), seal plate w/ seal installed and 2 SS bolts.

Attachments

• photo215761.jpg
    photo215761.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.