Need recommendation on boat type

BeeEl

Seaman
So I am preparing to sell/trade my ski boat, but I would like to get everyone's opinion here on exactly what style of boat I am looking for. We normally tube, kneeboard, and ski. I would really like to take it fishing at least occasionally. I thought I wanted a pontoon (as long as the motor was big enough), but it seems like it would be next to impossible to give a tuber much of a ride simply because getting that tube outside the wake looks like it would be difficult with a pontoon. Many of the pontoon boats are setup with four corner fishing seats so it's almost a perfect fit. I just don't think the tubing thing would work well.
This leads me to my next question. What about a deck boat? That appears to be a perfect fit, but I have no experience with them whatsoever. I do not want a fishing boat that you can ski behind. I want a ski boat that I can occasionally fish with.
Your thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks,
BL

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Who is buying the boat, you or the tubers? Buy what you want and my bet is it will still pull a tube just fine. A pontoon will haul the tubes on board and out of your way the best..

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I don't have much interest in fishing, but can't you fish off of pretty much any boat? Depending on the water conditions a john boat or other similar craft could be obtained fairly inexpensively and used for the occasional fishing trip and you could keep the ski boat as your primary boat.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
A pontoon will pull a tuber, but they are the worst of the worst for skiing/wakeboarding/kneeboarding. Yes, they might be able to do it, people could also use school buses as their daily driver to the office commute!

Look for a fish-n-ski boat that is a bowrider first, and they included a livewell on it. Some fish-n-ski boats are nothing but fishing boats minus the kicker/trolling motor.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Yep the open bow walk through with a nice outboard, would be my choice for what you defined. If this will be a trailered boat, I would stay away from pontoons, and it also would take a fairly large outboard to pull skiers and tubs behind too if gas consumption is a concern. Depend where you will use it and how it will be transported too.

thumpar

Admiral
I fish off my boat all the time while the family plays. It has the sundeck on the back and I just stand on it to get a good view and better casting. If the kids are in the water back there I just move to the bow. We have the filler cushions to make the whole bow flat and I can stand there too.

QC

Supreme Mariner
What I always recommend, is of course, what I own: a 23 foot, 20 degree I/O. There are a lot around, but of course, none of us know where you boat? Lake, river, water type? Usually flat? Usually choppy? etc. etc. etc.

Subman95

Cadet
If your lake is not too rough the deck boats are kinda what you might like. They are available up to 26 feet, and with either an outboard or I/O. The choice should be what you want!

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Bowrider or deckboat.

We use our bowrider for family, watersports, fishing, cruising, camping, all the above. Just installed a fishfinder on it as well, only thing we don't do with it is troll though some do.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm assuming freshwater on a smaller lake? (Not a Great Lake?) Not many pontoons on the ocean...
You also don't say new or used - because with used a buy may come up that is too good to pass up.