Need Recommendation - North Atlanta Area

Mark R.

Cadet
I have a 1994 Baja Islander with very low actual operating hours. I'm the second owner (for 10 years now) and have always stored it indoors. All of the upholstery and mechanicals are in nearly perfect condition, but there are some rotted floor sections toward the rear of the cockpit (I know the previous owner had stored it outside uncovered for periods of time).

I have searched and read all of the (incredibly many) posts and threads about this topic, and I want to replace the entire floor in the cockpit area. I have removed everything and done some exploratory surgery and it appears to be just the plywood flooring, and not the stringers (yeah, I know, we'll see...).

EDIT no soliciting

Thanks very much,
Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Need Recommendation - North Atlanta Area

Possibly you might have a member close to you who can help but since you never filled in your profile....... we have no idea is you are in Northern Canada, California, Florida or maybe in some other country!!

Welcome to iboats. People here are willing to help but what's the real estate agent say "location...location...location" :D

Mark R.

Cadet

Okay. Sorry about that. I just re-read the rules and guidelines again, and I guess I still don't understand the EDIT. I'm not promoting anything...

And I live in North Atlanta. That's why I'm asking for recommendations in that area... :confused:

I went ahead and filled in the rest of my profile. Will it be okay for me to ask my question again now?

Please let me know...

Thanks,
Mark.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Mark R.
Welcome to Iboats. You will find that the people here are more then willing to answer any of your questions. They will give all the help they can.:D
Soft decks usually comes from larger underlaying problems. Make sure you check everything. One other thing that will help them give you better answers are pictures. :p
We do love pic's
Again Welcome and good luck with your rebuild.
Bob

Mark R.

Cadet

When I first went and looked at this boat I was amazed to discover it was half full of water. The owner had used it, parked it (without a cover), and never even pulled the rear drain plug. It was parked bow up, so the rear 1/2 was totally flooded with rainwater. The owner had not even noticed, and didn't even seem to care.

So I pulled the plug right then and there, and drained it. The boat was like brand new, and I couldn't believe anyone could treat such a gorgeous boat so carelessly. Despite my concerns, I bought the boat, thoroughly dried it out and cleaned everything, and have used it without a problem for many years.

I got a great deal on it, but I think I may be paying the price now. I think that original soaking probably initiated the floor rot I've encountered, especially since it is mostly concentrated toward the back half of the cockpit.

I would normally tackle this job myself (and enjoy doing it), but due to some current circumstances, I just cannot. So I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and pay someone to replace the entire cockpit floor. So I was wondering if any of the Atlanta forum members (or anywhere in North Georgia) have had any experience with a shop they would recommend for this. I'm willing to pay a fair price to ensure a thorough and proper job.

Thanks very much,
Mark.

Mark R.

Cadet

So is there nobody in the Atlanta area that has had a good shop experience with a floor rebuild? I realize most of this site's members are do-it-yourself types (as am I normally). But I thought there must be someone who has paid to have this task performed for them. Anybody...? :(

Thanks,
Mark.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Mark R.
Sorry, I don't live in your area. The only thing I can reccomend is that you call some of the local marina's and ask for thier help.
Sorry that no one has responded.
Good luck
Bob

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Mark,

I live outside Savannah, but have inlaws that live in Lilburn. I will be visiting up there over Thanksgiving. I would might be willing to meet with you and if you are interested, brin gyour boat home with me for the deck rebuild over the winter. No, I am not a boat tech nor do i work at a marina. I just happen to be one of those guys that is a jack of all trades and learn how to do things very quickly. I have extra time over the winter as My business is spring/summer seasonal and i could use the extra money to help make ends meet this winter...

Post back here or send me a PM if you think you might be interested in my proposal...

jonesg

Admiral

So is there nobody in the Atlanta area that has had a good shop experience with a floor rebuild? I realize most of this site's members are do-it-yourself types (as am I normally). But I thought there must be someone who has paid to have this task performed for them. Anybody...? :(

Thanks,
Mark.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you bought a project, fully expect the stringers and transom to be logged full of water and they will not dry out.
Its rarely worth paying to have it done, if done cheap it will be worse than wet.

On the other hand its not difficult to do and most of us enjoy doing it.
I replaced my transom with a pourable composite resin designed for boats, the stringers I replaced were plywood which I glassed.

Theres a lot of boatyards out there doing little better than cowboy repairs.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

I live in Cumming but work in Alpharetta.

I doubt you will find a shop that will do the work for less that what you can buy a good boat for.

JOA Marine on Lake Lanier on Holiday Road did some very good glasswork to the keel of my SeaRay 340DA.

You might give them a try, but they are NOT CHEAP!

I'd be glad to do the work for you, but I'm neck deep in my own!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Mark R. Check your PM's (privet Messages) ;)

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I live in Roswell. I had a guy rebuild a transom for me on my old boat more than 10 years ago but he is no longer around. Its a shame because he did a good job. As for the previous poster that had a positive experience with JOA - NOT ME. I will NEVER let them touch a boat of mine again. Long story. Suffice it to say TOTAL INCOMPETENCE AND ZERO INTEGRITY. In this bad economy, I only hope they are gone before it is over. Unfortunately, I don't have a good suggestion for you. I can only suggest it is not a terrible DYI process and winter is here now - plenty of time. Much depends on if you have a convenient and secure place to work on it. I wish I did.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Wow! My experience with JOA being good could have been because I was there all the time to see the repair being done. I was curious and wanted to be sure that some steps were followed, so I was there a LOT during the process. I've got a LOT of digital pictures of the repair they made.

I do agree though... YOU CAN DO THIS!!!