Need power panel/power distribution ideas for a 14' boat.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Planning on converting a 14' mirrocraft into a fishing boat, pedestal seats, lights, live well, trolling motor, etc

Looking at the various battery box/power center options got me thinking there must be a better way to get power to a single panel and then distribute it from there, but I need to find a decent marine grade panel that wont break the bank.

Voltage readout, some power taps for 12V and usb, and a couple switches would be nice.

Anything out there?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Click the SHOP button at the top of the page. There are all sorts of fuse/switch panels and bus bar devices to choose from.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Every pre-made, "all-in-one" fuse / switch / 12v power port panel I've ever seen (that didn't cost a fortune) uses really crummy components: like crappy snap-in all-plastic non-water resistant switches, el cheapo pressed-in stamped metal power port that'll rust up on you, etc. (You know, the kind of stuff most OEM boat builders use to shave pennies.) And I'm not sure I've ever seen an all-in-one panel that has a USB charging port built-in (just cig lighter type), the marine industry is just not that up-to-date yet.

Best bet would be to craft up a custom panel yourself from a bit of thin starboard and some quality components, if you have the tools to do so.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The words "break the bank" sort of says what the OP was looking for. What's wrong with the USB adapters that plug into the accessory socket? Dime a dozen at nearly any store and some even have dual USB ports. There are plenty of water-resistant switch/breaker/fuse panels on the market. Nothing is 100% water-PROOF. As for a voltage readout, if you are adding gauges, that what a "voltmeter" is for.

sberl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I’m currently restoring a 16’ Mirrocraft. Bought the boat last summer and it had very little electronics, most of which were not working. Hopefully when I’m finished it will be better than when it was new. I’m adding a switch panel to the dash and a fuse block.

​​​​​​​These are the items I’ve purchased and may point you in the right direction.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCYGNXD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HGp8AbBT6GYD7

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000THQ0CQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uJq8Ab6Y8YT1S

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Look into Blue Sea Systems. They've got 6- and 8-gang waterproof switch panels with the fuses built in.

A buddy is re-wiring my 16 ft Starcraft, and swears it will be more than I ever need for a fresh water boat. He used to own a company installing custom electronics on yachts up and down the Jersey Shore, so I trust his opinion.

We put in a battery switch so I can run a starting and a house battery. From there, power is run to a bus bar under the console, then distributed to the switch panel. We've got fuses on all the runs too. The idea is that if something fails, i'm diagnosing under the console, instead of chasing things all over the boat.

Blue Sea Systems also sells good quality USB and 12 volt sockets, along with a voltage meter.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's what my dash looks like with all Blue Sea Systems gear. Simple, but it will work.

All told, probably less than $100 for that setup.

Attachments

• photo290048.jpg
    photo290048.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 0