Need Mercuiser education

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a new project boat, a 1987 Imperial 260FC with dual drives and this is the first Mercruiser I have owned. Since the boat was an auction boat, there is no PO, that I could have gotten past history, or direction on. What I have is a twin 3.7's, on what looks like a Pre-Alpha on the Starboard and a Alpha 1 Gen 1 on the Port. First am i correct?
20140120_113555_zps6efab132.jpg
Port Engine Alpha 1 Gen 1?

20140120_113521_zps2445d717.jpg
Starboard

Now Obviously the gimbal plates will need to be replaced, they have a lot of corrosion on them, but my main question is, I need education on these drives. Like what lower drives can mount to what uppers, and to what gimbals. The following picture shows that the starboard lower drive is mounted on to what I believe is the Pre-Alpha, but is that an Alpha lower?
20140120_113540_zps42425f75.jpg
Can that be bone correctly?

Any direction and information would be helpful.
Thanks

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Need Mercuiser education

Start looking here and the adults only section
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...tdrives/adults-only-no-exceptions-288430.html

Port is a R, MR , Alpha 1, the starboard is a MC-1. An alpha drive will fit and alpha drive, pre or other wise. Pull the drives, drain the gear lube (hope there is gear lube and not water) separate the upper from the lower, check the water pump. Just cause there old doesn't mean they need to be replaced. Gimbal plates may not need to be replaced. Need to pull the gimbal rings and get into the boots and gimbal bearings.

I see a lot of cleaning, flushing and elbow grease

Bondo

Staff member

Start looking here and the adults only section
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...tdrives/adults-only-no-exceptions-288430.html

Port is a R, MR , Alpha 1, the starboard is a MC-1. An alpha drive will fit and alpha drive, pre or other wise. Pull the drives, drain the gear lube (hope there is gear lube and not water) separate the upper from the lower, check the water pump. Just cause there old doesn't mean they need to be replaced. Gimbal plates may not need to be replaced. Need to pull the gimbal rings and get into the boots and gimbal bearings.

I see a lot of cleaning, flushing and elbow grease

Ayuh,.... AllDodge has got ya headed the Right way,...
The answers to All those questions is up in Don'S Adults Only section,...

All of that series of drives are interchangeable, by the units,...
Swap uppers, or lowers anyway ya want,...

Their differences are in their internal pieces,...

'n it's the Gimbal Housings that ya pull to change bellows,...
Leave the Rings on the transom, unless they've also got issues,...

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a big help. The boots both appear to be new, or recently changed, but the Gimble rings show a lot of corrosion, especially right on the outside of the trim sensors mount. and I am not sure of their worthiness. I attached a picture.
20140120_113511_zpsa99757d4.jpg
Two of the grease Zerks, one on each has broken off in the Gimbal plates, and I would suspect that the remains are corroded into place. I am hoping as well that the drives themselves are good. In fact both of them show very little pitting, and the starboard MC-1 has been painted with the orange paint you see in the picture, and it is starting to flake off in some spots revealing what looks to be nice new black Mercruiser paint.