Need lower shift cable info on Merc 160

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer
I'm gonna change it before the season. It was balky last year and I limped it along, but I'm not gonna press my luck any more.
It's a 1969 Mercruiser 160 SN 2497444. It's still the old style. The boat sat unused for several years. I've read up a little on the necessary mods and I think I can do it. What I need to know is exactly which cable I need to buy. I've gotten conflicting numbers depending on where I've looked.
I've got the merc manual but if it tells, step-by-step, how to do the necessary mods, I haven't been able to find it...so I'd like to be pointed towards some kind of tutorial I can study and use. Any stories of real-life experiences with this project would be much appreciated.

thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need lower shift cable info on Merc 160

I'm not sure you can upgrade to the new cable. I know Merc doesn't show using the new cable on anything below 77. Can't say why for sure, but I would sure hate to see you try to tap the bellhousing and buy a new cable to find the ends or size won't work for some reason.
The kit that Mercruiser says to use is 73723A01.
Even though your year of drive and the 78 and newer 1 drives are the same, there must be something in the shift plate and bellhousing that could be different.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

hmmm...I've read conflicting things myself. Some places say that anything before 83 you have to tap it out and use the new style. Some say other things. I'll put it all on hold until I know for sure.
What would be the option if I can't use the new cable and the old one isn't available? Upgrade to a different drive? To be honest, I've considered this because the gears in mine are pretty pitted and I have to keep an eye on the lube level. I wouldn't be totally opposed to this if I can do it within reason.
All info is appreciated.

Don S

The old one is available, Use the number I gave above, it's the Mercruiser number.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

ok...my mistake, I guess it didn't register that it was the number for the old style. Everywhere I'd read they said the old style wasn't available. I knew I could get the straight scoop here. Is this a direct replacement, meaning that I won't have to do any tapping with the 1/4" pipe tap?

I'm off to search out a cable.

thanks

Don S

No tapping, just install it like the manual says.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

Many thanks. I've been putting off doing this because I was a little intimidated by the thought of tapping the bellhousing. I wonder why so many places said the older style cable was no longer available?
Now I have two more questions and I'll leave you alone. First...do I need any special tools for this project? Second...I have Mercruiser service manual Number 1, Books 1 & 2. Are these correct for my unit? Some things look dead on and some look just enough different to make me wonder. I was looking through them before I typed this and hadn't found anything about the actual cable installation, just adjusting one. If it's there, I'll find it. Too rainy and cold to do anything outside anyway.

thanks again, Don

Don S

Yep, you have the right manual. There is no problems finding the cable from Merc, any dealer could either sell you one off the shelf or order one.
The problem occurs when you try to cross things over to some after market j......... Uhhhhh, parts.

Sorry, everyone, I will never change my opinion of after market parts. Especially since I have done both OEM, then had to adjust to Aftermarket.
Something I doubt many (or any) of you have done.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

Don S...if you're still watching this one.....feel free to call me an idiot, but I've looked page by page in the manual and can't find anything that pertains to the installation of the lower shift cable. Can you point me in a direction?
I've found an OEM cable and am planning to tackle it the first warm weekend. What else do you reccommend I look at or replace? I'm doing the impeller and prop shaft seal, gimbal bearing was new last year, but I'm gonna grease it. Bellows for exhaust and drive shaft were new in 06, U-joints new in 05, gonna grease them. Will put new bellows on along with the new cable. Got the Mercruiser alignment tool for reinstalling. How about the shift shaft seal? I read something about a new style. I'm sure mine is the original from 69. This boat was used very little and sat totally unused for several years. The original owner doesn't remember anything being done to it.

Don S

Go to page 2B-12

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

dang....how in the world did I miss those pages?

thanks