Need help with trim..

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a alpha one outdrive on my merc 165, the other day I noticed that when I got done in the water and went to pull her out she would trim up....but not back down!! She will try and barely go down but upon release or the trim button goes back up on her own. Why would this happen? Has worked great untill now ....thanks!

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need help with trim..

Sorry guys, try to make this a little clearer...when i press the trim button down, I hear the trim pump start, i see the outdrive begin to move down, and then stop...It tries to go down and if I push it will go just a tad further...But as soon as I release the button she goes back up almost like a ram is holding it up.....without even pushing the button up! Pushing the button up works just fine though. I dont really even know where to begin. Any one have this problem before?

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

Iam No expert. but i been working on my Trim problem for a LONG LONG time and after Several Hundred times i remove my trim on my boat i have learn many things.. One WASHER missing will mess the whole set-up

As for your problem.. Check your Electrical which connects to your Pump. it sound like Electrical problem to me..

THINK about.. you press UP. it GOES UP..

You Press Down... it GOES DOWN>

YOU Release any BOTTON.. Trim go UPS..

Sound like electrical to me..

Also maybe its the Solenoid..

SOrry not much detail.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

further...But as soon as I release the button she goes back up almost like a ram is holding it up.....without even pushing the button up!

...sounds like you have air trapped in the cylinders. Try bleeding the system before tearin' into things.

I had a defective flex hose and my lift acted quite the same before the system ran too low on fluid.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Sorry, moved and just now got everything back up.

Now, I tried to bleed the rams. But after reading on here it says that they kinda do it themselves. Now, I should state again that prior to this last trip everything was working great. Also, she will go up all day long, but coming down is my issue. The motor sounds as if its straining...and barely moves. When i let go of the trim button it automatically goes back up on its on. So I know its not a electrical issue. The trim pump does not raise it...the pressure in the rams or pump does. The trim pump never engages. Any other ideas guys? I have seacrhed on here relentlessly,. and even after finding trouble shooting guides, I still have no ideas. Any help?