Need help with Sea King/Merc K1 decals (again)

kirkp

Recruit
Need some help in trying to figure out a decal on my 1940 Sea King/Merc K1 outboard. This is the old square tank model. On top of the gas tank is a decal that measures about 1 ?? x 4 ??. From the limited amount of wording that I can see, the decal gives starting instructions, where to place the mag lever, how far to open the mixing valve, etc. Does anyone have a tank with a similar decal they can take a picture of? Maybe other Merc or Sea King models of the same year or maybe even 1941 have the same decal? Thanks for your help.
Kirk

kirkp

Recruit
Re: Need help with Sea King/Merc K1 decals (again)

I am guessing that what I have was called the Streamline but I'm not sure. Literature I have found lists it at a 2.5 hp motor but the decal I have on my tank says 2.8 hp. Interesting that the Mercury K1 which this Sea King really is is a 2.5 hp. Either way, the decals at the link you listed are for the later version with the stream lined tank. My motor has the older square tank. The decals are completely different than the ones shown.

Kirk

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the decals at American Outboard are all for OMC-made Sea Kings and aren't correct for the Merc-made ones. I know I've seen some decals on motors at shows over the years, but I have no idea where they came from. Might try placing an ad at AOMCI.org to see if something turns up.

kirkp

Recruit

Thanks Chinewalker,
I posted this on AOMCI, John's Merc forum, and the Wizard site. I checked with someone about making the wrap around decal and they wanted $130. Of that, $100 was for recreating the decal so this small one would be expensive since setup is so expensive. I took a shot and asked the folks at AOM what the wording is on the K1 decal hoping that it might be the same and I could jury rig something on my own. Probably the biggest issue is finding something that refers to using a mixing valve instead of a carb.
Kirk