Need help with engine, turns over but ni fire

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1982-83 Bayliner Capri 195 with a AQ125 A or B 4 cyl Volvo motor with a Penta 270 out-drive. Installed new starter and had to fabricate a bracket for my throttle and gas cable because the new starter did not have proper bolts to hold old bracket. Also put in a new deep cycle battery.

My problem is it turns over and catches a few times but will not remain running. Ran fine last season now crap. Any Ideas or other threads?????? need to get running because dad and I are planing on heading to upper Wisconsin for our yearly fishing trip.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help with engine, turns over but ni fire

Installed new starter and had to fabricate a bracket for my throttle and gas cable because the new starter did not have proper bolts to hold old bracket.
You have a bracket on the starter for the throttle and shift cables? That doesn't seem right.

So it sputters a little but doesn't start? Gas, Fuel, and a Spark. You just got to find which one's missing. I would try a little starting fluid first, if it fires up with that then you can rule out the ignition and focus on the fuel delivery. Maybe it's just not primed. Maybe the carb's gummed up. Maybe water in the gas. Maybe clogged fuel filter. Maybe something else.

Maclin

Admiral

Are you sure the wiring is correct now, because it sounds like the starter is not correct.

Dazz66

Cadet

Ok, by “starter” do you mean ignition coil?
If it’s turning & catching then the starter motor sounds ok, you’re more likely looking at fuel or ignition. If you’re had the coil disconnected, then that remains a likely culprit. Double check the connections and check all your sparkplug leads. If they seem all in order, then check you’re actually getting spark at the plugs and at approximately the right time. I find the easiest way to do this is by using a timing light whilst the engine is cranking. Depending on the age of your engine, you might also need to check your points/dwell. (Did they still have points in the 80’s?)
If you’re getting plenty of spark, that leaves fuel. You can try a few squirts of an Ether based engine starter. (We use a product called “Start Ya Bastard”.) Be very cautious using this in a boat; make sure you have plenty of ventilation and have the blower running to purge the bilge of any other vapours. (And don’t leave the can on the boat.) If the engine fires, try kicking the throttle up a little.
In these situations, my money is usually on ignition being the problem.

Maclin

Admiral

Dazz, when I type "starter" I am not referring to the ignition coil. The starter wiring is integral to the ignition coil ballast circuit on that engine. If the starter is not wired correctly, or itself is not correct it will not have the proper componentry to integrate properly and something in the ignition coil circuit will end up MIA.

It has points unless it has an aftermarket electronic setup.

Starting fluid dries out the cylinders in short order. Most here do not recommend using it. If dwell and timing is in range and fuel delivery is ok then it will fire without the starting fluid. If any of that is not in range then best to just fix it and leave the starting fluid at the parts store.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
timeing out of time

timeing out of time

okay I have a 1982 ' 83 AQ125A Volvo motor. went up North Wisconsin to fo some fishing but engine would not fire it will turn over but does not run. Took it into local marine mechanic and he told me my timing belt is so loose he thinks the valves pulley is out of time with the rest of the engine and that is why it will not fire.first off I'm wondering if that is even possible second if it is how does one get the valve timing back in sync with the cylinders and everything else?

so far on the engine I have replaced the starter alternator. The cylinders have a compression 125 PSI on all four cylinders. the mechanic also said I need to replace my water pump and timing belt and most likely thetension pulley on the timing belt.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I merged both of your posts together since they are directly related with it not starting.

Yes those belts wear out, No they should not be loose.

Yes, it sounds like your mechanic is telling you the truth.

Keep in mind, that 120 compression on those engines is very low. You should be seeing between 145 and 175 psi compression.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

the mechanic cleaned out the carburetor got engine to run but then it sputtered out he called in a friend who told him that because of a backfire he thinks the timing belt jumped causing the cylinder and the valves to be out of time

Maclin

Admiral

If the timing belt is not timed correctly then you can get false compression results. I would make that a priority (timing belt retimed or replaced).

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

The belt jumping on this motor seems fairly common. The tensioner doesn't get adjusted as often as the book says, I know I'm guilty of it.

You can get an automotive timing belt and tensioner pulley kit for cheap, $26 at rockauto.

Just realign the pulleys and reinstall the new belt. You'll have to re-time it with a timing light afterwards. The water pump isn't attached to the timing belt, so don't know why the replacement was recommended. Maybe it is bad, but check it first because the replacement is crazy expensive. (I'm talking about the circulation pump, not the raw water pump.)