need help with cylinders

beerboy_fj40

Cadet
I am trying to revive this 200 hp evenrude

I opened up the cylinders and this is what I found....

the cylinders walls feel smooth but it has gunk around them. Is there any way to flush out this stuff? Any and all help will be appreciated....

boatmotor011.jpg

boatmotor012.jpg

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: need help with cylinders

The piston on the left looks smoked. What was the compression on that cylinder? Plus loads of carbon. Not pretty.

beerboy_fj40

Cadet

no idea on compresssion still trying to get it to turn over...

the last time the previous owner used it he spun the prop so it has just been siting. The white looking stuff on top of the cylinder comes of its more like a filmy fish scale looking stuff. If I hosed it down with say an engine degresser in the cylinders, would it do any good? and where would the liquid end up in the motor?

Kaw_motocross

Recruit

If I was you I wouldn't use degreaser, It could enter through the pistons, and plus the rings dont look the best. You really have to disassemble the engine, and soak the cylinder and pistons in acetone. Also, use a plastic scraper on top of the pistons to remove the carbon but don't scratch them, not like they are probably ruined anyway.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I could'nt imagine what this engine would look like apart. Is this some kind of joke? You certainly don't think you could make this run with a little clean up.

beerboy_fj40

Cadet

a joke? if it was a f'in joke I woulda made it a joke.

A joke is building homes in flood basins then asking for the tax payer to bail you out!

iwombat

Captain

If the pictures do it any kind of justice, it needs to be taken apart and rebuilt. I'm suspecting at least one size over on a rebore for every hole I can see.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I was thinking that engine came from a flood basin, or was thrown up on a beach.

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

a joke? if it was a f'in joke I woulda made it a joke.

A joke is building homes in flood basins then asking for the tax payer to bail you out!

Easy there Beerboy......... :)
Mr. Johnson is a wealth of knowledge, here at iBoats, and might be a great brain to pick later in your work. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. In regards to the block, I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else. Especially Iwombat. Just judging by all the rust, looks like boring every hole will be in order. No telling how pitted those cylinder walls are. Also, looks like it might have had a little water intrussion on one. I wouldn't bother trying to clean this up to use. It will most likely be a waste of your time and money. I realize this isn't what you wanted to hear, but you did inquire as to others' oppinions.

BTW......... Welcome to iBoats!!!!!

beerboy_fj40

Cadet

thanks to all

i hate just know it alls trying to belittle us not know it alls. i am new to boat engines and it just rubbed me the wrong way.....apoligies to all

anyone know of good sources for used outboards?

Theoutdoorsman

New outboard or rebuild the one you have......... it's a matter of personal preference. To me, it just makes sense to rebuild what I have.......for two reasons........ One, I know what I've got when I get it finished. It's all but new. And two, it costs me the same, or less, to rebuild than to purchase a motor that I have no prior knowledge of (maintenance and what not). Oh yeah, last but not least, the education you receive while going through the rebuild process is absolutely priceless!!!! Those trips to the lake afterward are much less worrisome with that knowledge. I guess you have some decisions to make. There are a lot of great folks, not to mention extremely intelligent, here at iBoats to offer some very helpful hands along the way should you decide to rebuild yourself. If ever you need to pick a brain, these guys are here for ya!!!!! ..............If you opt to purchase another, ebay or craigslist would be a good place to start. You might also consider swapping the powerhead. You already have the electronics. Just some more food for thought. Be sure to purchase an OEM Service Manual for your outboard if you decide to do your own maintenance in the future. Stay away from the clymers and what not. The OEM's are specific to your model and can literally walk you through a complete tear down. Good luck in your decision!!!!! ........................ Alan

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I over reacted to those photos', as they show severe rust damage. That engine is filled with ground, pricision parts'. If the crank, bearings', and connecting rods' look like that, a rebuild is out of the question. Most any repair shop would tell you that. The thought was not to belittle, but to keep from throwing good money after bad.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

yea not good news .
i dont know if that powerhead is 149 cid .
i have a 150 149 cid power head it has one maybe two holes that need boreing it was fresh lost one or two cyl from over heat .it is 030 all the piston wer new so the one that are saveable are new this is full powerhead minus elec,hone 4 bore two and two new pistons and your in buisness .
pm me and ill chat with ya if you need it dont kow if it will work probaly the large bore ,but its still expensive ,you can buy a runnin mota for less than you will be able to do the rebuild the big older croosflow are droppin in price they have one up the road for sale 600 and this motor run well so you might just want to salvage that one and find a running mota and you will have extra trim unit and electronis and also lower unit if ya scrap it i will
need some stuff pm me ,welcome to iboats

Theoutdoorsman

I over reacted to those photos', as they show severe rust damage. That engine is filled with ground, pricision parts'. If the crank, bearings', and connecting rods' look like that, a rebuild is out of the question. Most any repair shop would tell you that. The thought was not to belittle, but to keep from throwing good money after bad.

I agree. How long have the heads been off?

R. Johnson........Just brainstorming here.......How probable would it be to NOT have rust on the crank and other internal parts IF what we are seeing is merely surface rust on the cylinder walls. It's kind of hard to tell from the photo's exactly how bad this really is. Like you, I think he'd be disappointed if/when he cracked it open. However, I think it would be safe to assume that the internal parts would likely have much more oil coating them than the cylinder walls, hence the visible surface rust we see here. Just curious as to your oppinion. But I fully agree..... he may be better off with a new powerhead or complete outboard. I guess the only way to know for certain would be to simply crack it open and have a look see, huh? If any sign of rust is evident, he could simply scrap it right then and there, correct? If not, he may have other options such as parting the motor out to collect $$$ in hopes of offsetting the cost of replacement.

beerboy_fj40

Cadet

pulled them off 24 hours ago when i posted pics...im thinking repower the thing then play with old motor as an educational tool

the motor had sat dormant twice in its lifetime each for probablly more than 4 years..i doubt much oil coating left anywhere:(

beerboy_fj40

Cadet

is the fall a better time to look for motors? when do most boaters start swapping out engines?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I found that spring time is goo.Guys get their tax checks and the ol outboard wont start ,so they think newER.I did.Whats the story with the rest of the en.Like the mid section (which is below the powerhead to the lower unit,with the trim and tilt)is the lower unit clean,or a corrosion bucket,does trim unit look clean.If this happened to be a nice clean freshwater used motor,I would advise to consider a rebuilt powerhead,But ,judging just by the rusty bolts on the rear of eng.I think not.Where do you live.If you can get a used freshwater eng.somewhere ,thats a plus.Cant help you here in south fl.

beerboy_fj40

Cadet

the tilt unit is not working...i think its a wiring issue though. when i push the tilt control i hear and see nothing. i have not opened up anymore of her yet...

she was salt water the 1st 4 years then she bounced, not driven, in the lake after that...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look closely at the two end pistons. There are pieces of the upper ring land missing. The cylinders are rust covered. Beneath that rust they are probably scored as well from the pieces of piston that bounced around inside. This engine is toast. It could be rebuilt but that would include boring, new pistons, and very likely an entire new bottom end as the bearing journals are probably rusty as well. I hope you have a thick wallet.