Need Help with a 1955 or 1957 Montgomery Ward

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need Help with a 1955 or 1957 Montgomery Ward

Hay steelespike nice of you to join in ! you say my 22 gale is 125lbs thats good to know seemed heavy taken her down stairs to basement even with wife on prop end and me wrapped around engine and stairs goes down at 45 degrees .I,ll call my pale over to help bring it out .
put diesel fluid down spare plug holes to un- seize pistons . well let it sit for a week more then put air gun to it . will take more pics and post..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Good luck keep us posted.
I have the little cousin to your 22 a 55 Gale Bucaneer 5 hp.
Haven't had it on the water but Got it running and it cleaned up nice.
When I was 18 or 19 I knew 2 girls from Baltimore staying with a grandmother on Basswood Island in the 1000 islands
They had a 22 on a Lyman We had lots of fun days and they snuck out at night for a couple of hours.
Gramma was stuck in the 1930s, house was like it was in 1930 old magizines and all.
I had a 61 18 on a big dressy kit boat with a really flat V bottom. I actually got it up to an indicated 27 mph on rare occasions,
no gps back then.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hay steelespike nice of you to join in ! you say my 22 gale is 125lbs thats good to know seemed heavy taken her down stairs to basement even with wife on prop end and me wrapped around engine and stairs goes down at 45 degrees .I,ll call my pale over to help bring it out .
put diesel fluid down spare plug holes to un- seize pistons . well let it sit for a week more then put air gun to it . will take more pics and post..

Actually, you're better off using a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF to pour into those cylinders. Diesel is almost useless.

Yea, who says that older outboards are heavier? LOL In a lot of cases, the older outboards are lighter and built ten times better.

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys I will try the 50/ 50 mix to un- seize the pistons and just bought a harmonic balancer puller at princess auto in ONT cost 19.99 and the kit came with 3 sets of screws all did not fit ! so had to go out and buy 3 screws to fit 1/4 inch holes grade 8 bolts $4.00
more ..I have a feeling this 22 hp is going to be a lot of work !!!!!!!!!!!! ,this site wont take my iphone pic,s makes to large of an app will have to go back to camera to show u guys ..

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_0103.jpgIMG_0102.jpg here is another pic plus my new
toy 1968 viking 3.5 hp

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Cool. That Viking looks like an Eska or Clinton. I'm leaning more towards Clinton. Good little motors, for what they are. Tune up parts can be obtained at the local lawn mower shop.

That first pic, must be the old 22? Wow, I'm supposed to see shiny aluminum pistons through those ports and I'm not. You're scarin' me man. Was this motor ever submerged? Or are those pistons stuck from sitting. There's roughly three causes of pistons getting stuck. The one I didn't mention, is lack of oil. That will be a cool old motor to revive.

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I,v got solvent in there to free up the carbon and rust so color turned brown but ,yes its scary got the fly wheel off and coils are shot ,and maybe condensers too plus points ,oh well one thing at a time free up pistons then move on to next part . BUt right now to past the time I,m working on these little 3.5 Vikings everything here is good but the carbs and gas tank some one left old gas in them so I need carb kit to finish the job.will send more pic soon IMG_0104.jpg

M

mrcrabs

Looks like a little chrysler built engine to me, I have a friend with a old earth packer...it looks like a robo leg/foot with a air cooled single by "Chrysler marine"...you can tell by the very neat cooling fins and the quality of the aluminum, I think the carb is walbro and a Tecumseh needle and seat should work, but I coud be wrong...

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes you would be right by the info i found that chrysler bought them out some time in the late 60,s air cooled plus a copper water tube facing propellor coming down inside leg picking up water from prop plus speed of boat to the bottom of finned motor plus some heat being pulled out by the fly wheel pretty neat stuff no water pump ,but some air and water cooling .We will see how good she pushes my 14 ft aluminum SQ Back canoe with 2 people .I have plans to make some small pontoons on each side of canoe ..as not to flip in the spring time waters are cold here :eek:

M

mrcrabs

I like it, Take good care of it, I wouldn't mind to have one hanging around.

I'm curious about who made the carb:)

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mrcarbs here is your answer as to who made the carbs on this 1968 viking 3.5 hp air cooled motor company is TILLOTSON of TOLEDO
OHIO USA # MD124A is part #

Status
Not open for further replies.